ACK! Our new Panny 47WX49 is making my DVDs look awful!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Nick Graham, Aug 18, 2002.

1. Nick Graham

Nick Graham Screenwriter

Ok, not all of them, bit man...
    Don't get me wrong, DVDs with great transfers do indeed look incredible (Shrek, Toy Story 1&2, FOTR, Fugitive SE, etc), But it's the ones that don't have sparkling transfers (Tombstone: Vista Series, some Paramount titles, early releases from the first year or two of the format) that are revealed in all their mediocrity on this set. Man, my beloved Tombstone Vista has gone from a sterling presentation on my 27" Trinitron to a edge enhanced nightmare on the Panny. I won't even go into how badly my few LDs look, mainly because I know a good part of the issue is my older, low-end S104 with it's video output on the fritz. The player I have attached to the 47WX49 is a 2-3 year old Panny 5 disc changer with component (but not progressive) output. My brother and I have already rid the TV of it's red push AND disbaled the SVM (and in doing so improved the picture immensely). Will switching to a good progressive player help give my less than sparkling DVDs a little boost? I love this TV, but I'd like it to be a little more kind to my DVD collection, as I have quite a few titles that I love that have far from 5 star transfers.

2. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

I have the samn set and thought the same things...until I hooked a progressive scan player up to it. Night and day difference my man, at least I think so.

I am wondering why the interlaced picture on this set is so damn dark though. Some games are way too dark(using S-Video) but in composite they look good. Any ideas people?

3. Luis C

Luis C Stunt Coordinator

Calibration, calibration, calibration...

Expect to pay about 1/3rd the price of the TV for a good calibration...

4. Josh Lowe

Josh Lowe Screenwriter

A calibration isn't going to help a bad transfer look any better.
    It's all a chain. When you upgrade certain links, weaknesses in other links are revealed. In the case of poorly done software, there's not a lot you can do but ignore it and enjoy the movie. I was also pretty disappointed in the Tombstone Vista transfer. But I felt better after being blown away by the Memento SE and Royal Tenenbaums transfers. [​IMG]
    I'd say hands down the biggest disappointment I've had was Star Wars: The Phantom Menace. There were so many halos on the screen that I thought I was watching Touched By An Angel. I really did think there was something wrong with my TV. Then I went back to source material I knew to be good and it all looked fine. They just really dropped the ball on TPM and Tombstone.

5. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Ahh, the disadvantages of owning a first-rate display: to see just how bad really bad film-to-DVD transfers can look. There are always remasters and special editions, Nick! [​IMG]

6. Sean Moon

Star Wars doesn't look that bad...just not as good as other films though. I can live with it.
    Transfer that surprised me most on the Panny was American Beauty. On my old 27in TV the picture was really grainy and dark, now on the Panny it is beautiful and highly detailed. The biggest improvement I have seen on the set.

7. BruceSpielbauer

BruceSpielbauer Second Unit

Well, you have been given some seemingly conflicting replies here. I thought I might be able to clairify things a bit, especially since there may not actually be any conflict, once you think about it.

First... The Vista "Tombstone" has not been regarded as a good transfer. This may be one of the reasons it was chosen for a "Superbit" transfer (although they have chosen others which were actually pretty good to begin with, like Fifth Element, so who can say?)

Your new set will magnify the artifacts and edge enhancement and other transfer weaknesses right along with the "good stuff," and because it is a relatively large screen, you will tend to notice it more. And, there are a lot of DVDs with serious transfer flaws. I now check reviews carefully to find out before I buy. Such is the curse of a large picture .

And, no, an ISF calibration cannot "fix" a bad transfer. However, a good ISF calibration can take any of the actual flaws which you are dealing with from your set's own factory settings and fix them, or at least mitigate them, so they are not as bad. And, most certainly, your set has some of these. Mine does (it is still too soon for an ISF calibration on mine). The truth is, ALL sets have some, since manufacturers of consumer-grade sets do not shoot for the NTSC standard, they instead try to sell their sets on busy showrooms.

A great transfer can make you overlook these flaws that I spoke of above. I am not certain why that is, but it is certainly true in my case. I was bothered by the edge enhancement and red push on many of my DVDs. However, they never seemed to bother me when I watched Toy Story(s), or The Fifth Element. They drove me nuts when I watched weaker transfers ("True Lies" "Star Wars I"). They also drove me nuts on analog cable, and on most laser discs. I fixed the red push, and the edge enhancement myself. But, I still know that I need a calibration, for lots of other flaws (grayscale, convergence, focus, etc.)

Finally... a Progressive Scan DVD player IS worth considering. No, the difference will not be "night and day" (sorry to disagree gently with a revious reply). But there will be a difference, and it was easily noticable to my eye. They are now so inexpensive as to be worth it, ven if you do not NEED a new DVD player. If you have doubts, discuss this with the salesperson, and make certain you will have no problem returning it first, and then try one. It is not night and day, but it was worth it, in my opinion, with my 65" set.

My opinions,

-Bruce in Chi-Town

8. Sean Moon

Pro Scan is night and day on this set. Most televisions I have seen the difference is there, but when I used a proscan on the Panny, the difference is huge. I disabled SVM, Red Push, and Calibrated with AVIA. I cannot afford a pro calibration, since all my money was spent on the set.

Interlaced on the pannt just seems a little too dark, but progressive is bright and bold colors.

9. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Ummm, Tombstone is a Buena Vista title, Superbit is Columbia