What's new

Ack!! My Toshiba SD-5109 just died! What to get next? (1 Viewer)

Paul W

Second Unit
Hi folks. I need some advice on getting a short term replacement DVD player. Some questions:

What is this chroma bug everybody keeps referring to? Which brands tend to have this problem?

Does anybody still make the 2 disc changers?

I was looking at the Denon DVD players and I was curious if anybody thinks the Silicon Image's de-interlacer is that much better than the Faroudja's (I'm leaning towards the 1600 if nobody still makes the 2 disc changers).

I would like to stay away from Toshiba after watching this player die and below $500 for the obvious reason that HDDVD should be making an appearance in the next couple of years.

Any advice off the bat?

TVMIA!

Paul W

Second Unit
Okay, a quick search gave me some information about the chroma bug. So that why Toy Story looked so crappy when I played it on my toshiba. I pointed this out when I first got the player back in 2000, but no one seemed to know anything about it then.

So, which players should I specifically avoid (other than toshiba and pannys)?

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
Toshiba and Sony historically have had the chroma bug. You are wise to look for a Faroujda or Silicon Image de-interlacer based model. None of the Sony, Panasonic, or Toshiba models have good de-interlacers - so avoid them. Go for Denon (DVD-1600, DVD-910, DVD-1200, DVD-2200) or if you have to save money the cheapest new model with Faroudja is the Mitsubishi DD-8040 for $250 at Tweeter stores. I myself found a used top-rated Panasonic XP30 (same design as the Denon DVD-1600 with Faroudja) for $200 on EBAY.

Kwang Suh

Supporting Actor
Neither Toshiba's nor Sony's new players have the chroma bug.

The 5109 is special in that it had extremely severe CUE, and had the flicker bug to boot.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks