What's new

Ack, my DVL-700 looks like a bad VCR! (1 Viewer)

Nathan_R

Supporting Actor
Hi folks,

I've recently become the owner of a Pioneer DVL-700 combo (yuck) DVD/LD player. I currently own two other players-- a Mitsu 6027 and a Pioneer 704. Can someone please help me out.

The DVL-700 LD picture looks like a VCR tape with bad tracking problems. I've tried both composite and s-video jacks, all provide the same shoddy image. The OSD menus on the unit appear fine (the image doesn't wobble), but playing a movie (Jurassic Park DTS) is subpar. One fifth of the top part of the picture and roughly the same of the bottom part wobbles and the image is overall grainy beyond all belief.

I thought it might be the disc, but it plays fine in the 704. Is this normal PQ for the 700-- is the LD picture of this machine really THAT bad or is there something else I should try. Honestly, the manual is almost as bad as the Malata N996, so maybe I'm missing some setup feature.

Thanks in advance and best regards,
~~Nathan

Joe Solek

Agent
Nathan, possibly one of two things: 1. Your disc maybe warped or 2. your laser pickup may be out of alignment. I suspect the latter. Good luck.

Nathan_R

Supporting Actor
Hmm, I'll go with the second cause. I know the disc isn't warped, as it plays flawlessly in the other players. Assuming the laser is out of alignment on the DVL-700, is this an expense fix if I pop down to my neighborhood electronic repair shop?

Thanks.
~~Nathan

John A. Casler

Second Unit
I have a DVL-700 and it has a great picture into a 55" Toshiba.

Not DVD quality, but not even close to VHS and I have the Toshiba 808 S-VHS VCR which puts out a good look.

John Casler

Joe Solek

Agent
I think that most honest repair shops should give youan estimate before they start. I am a little worried about finding a shop that is familar with laser disc players. Even at the height of player sales, good repair people were hard to find.

Dean L

Stunt Coordinator
I know there there are players w/better LD performance, and i am sure that current DVD players (since the DVL-700 is 1st generation for DVD) put out a superior picture.
But below VHS or even Super VHS?

Still looks pretty good to me for BOTH LD and DVD payback.

I have owned the DVL-700 for 4+ years w/LD pictures blowing away VHS, Super VHS, and DSS. DVD looking even better than LD.

I have to agree, you're player must need a tuneup.

Dean L

Stunt Coordinator
Beings you are in Atlanta, GA i'm sure any high end audio/video store/repair shop could give you a estimate.

there are at least 3 places here in the much smaller city of Omaha, NE that do LD repairs.

Nathan_R

Supporting Actor
Funny story, regarding one of my other players.
I had a few email exchanges with one of Atlanta's more respected electronic repair shops. I asked if they could service an LD player for its side-flipping had become quite slow. Everytime I received a reply they kept telling me "Yes, we do service DVD players." I finally sent them some pictures of the player and a snaps of an LD and DVD side by side. Oh well, as long as they can fix the minor problems.

I will take in the DVL-700 for a service. The picture is indeed as bad as a VCR tape. The laser alignment theory sounds good to me.

Thanks for the input everyone!

Best regards,
~~Nathan

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Call local VCR and electronics repair shops and ask how familiar they are with LD players. I have a local shop that is very familiar with LD units when I brouight my 99 in for a tune up and they were drooling, I knew I waws in the right place. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks