What's new

ACK! I need a little help for a simple problem! (1 Viewer)

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
OK My friend wanted a decent home theater so in the last week or so we have been putting together a fair little system. He bought the Energy Take 5 speaker system and Denon 1802 reciever. The Mirage BPS-400 comes next week. The DVD player is a Toshiba model SD 2200.

I have been plugging away learning all I can with this reciever since I haven't much played with any 5.1 amp. I have been going through the instructions relentlessly and must say Denon should have had a much bigger "troubleshooting" section! Yesterday Wally bought 2 discs. Fleetwood Mac "the dance"(dolby Digital) and Eagles "when hell freezes over"(DTS surround). DVD player is hooked up via optical cable and in the (*setup menu* I designated the optical 1 to DVD) Simply put, the dolby digital signal from "the dance" works; the dolby digital light on the Denon comes on showing it is recognizing the signal. But when I pop in the eagles disc the DTS light doesn't come on. It says its getting the digital signal, however, DPL2 cinema is stated on the display. For the life of me I cannot get it to reckognize the DTS signal. I went into the DVD player menu and made sure it was on bitstream and from what I see thats all I needed to do on the DVD player. So what is wrong with me? Why can't I get the DTS signal? Thanks in advance

John E F

Stunt Coordinator
What does the front panel display read when it receives the Dolby Digital signal? Set the receiver to the auto detect fuction, when you select the DTS track from the Eagles dvd, it should automatically switch to the DTS mode. I believe there is a PCM track on the Eagles dvd and you have to manually select DTS from the dvd's audio menu. Hope this helps.

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
The front panel just simply says "Dolby D" and then maybe it says a something else. I'll go there later and mess with it some more. I know eventually it will all come together. Thanks!

Loring

Stunt Coordinator
Hello,

I know this happens on some DTS discs I have, I will have to push the DTS button on the receiver to get my receiver to switch over to DTS, but most of the time my receiver switches over automatically.

Also check the DVD player to make sure it is passing the DTS signal. I believe on my DVD player I had to set it to DTS on so it would pass the signal for the receiver to know a DTS signal was being passed.

Hope you get it working.

dougW

Stunt Coordinator
Another common problem is that the DVD player requires the DTS bitstream to be turned on. Many factory defaults are off. Check the DVD player setup menu...

Lex

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks