ack! Dragonheart DVD problem.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andrew s wells, Jan 19, 2002.

1. Andrew s wells

Andrew s wells Second Unit

I take the best possible care of all my DVDs..never touch them by anything but the edges,they are always places back in the case after playing them, so of course there are no scratches on them either. I went to play dragonheart yesterday on the Xbox and it took a moment before it cam up with the message screen "make sure this is an Xbox game,dvd movie, etc.." so i figured this may be one of the dvds that has a problem on the Xbox...so i tried out my panasonic portable and it said i could not use this disc! why would it suddenly stop working? makes no sense.. i even tried wiping the disc (of course from center to edge like it should be-and with an appropriate material...no luck..i bought it over a year ago..its always played fine. any sugesstions on what i can do? i dont have the reciept, but is it possible universal may send me a new one if i send this one to them to exchange it? i doubt it,but its the only thing i can think of..thanks in advance.

2. Jason Hughes

Jason Hughes Supporting Actor

Jason Hughes
    Sounds like another case of "DVD-rot." Universal discs are notorious (older ones anyway).

3. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    Andrew - Is this the DD version or the DTS version?

4. Andrew s wells

Andrew s wells Second Unit

its the dolby digital version.

5. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    This would be the first time I've heard of a rot problem with Dragonheart. Curious...

I once had a Yamaha DVD player which would not play the DTS version of Dragonheart. It turned out to be the DVD player itself, and I took it back to the store and got a Toshiba.

6. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

A) There are known problems with certain models of Panasonic units (luckily, my 210 isn't among them). I saw a thread earlier today in the Hardware section that mentions the result of a class action lawsuit against Panasonic and JVC regarding incompatibility issues not being resolved properly, and lists all of the involved models. I suggest that you find that thread and check the list of models, see if yours is on it.

B) X-Box units are working great, from what I hear: less than a 1% fall-out rate! But my understanding is that the biggest problems that DO crop up are with the DVD drive, and that movie playback is among the first symptoms you'll see.

Perhaps in each case it's the unit, rather than the disc. Do other discs work well in either unit? Have you tried the Dragonheart disc in a player at a friends or at a store? Have you properly cleaned the disc and both players before re-trying (remember, dirt from a disc could stay in the player after you remove and clean the disc). I would personally recommend a store-bought CD cleaning kit to clean your DVD's...they do a damn good job and are cheap. No guesswork.

How long have you owned Dragonheart? A bit over a year, you say...perhaps you can call Customer Service and see about a replacement if you DO narrow it down to the disc.

7. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

damn.

I ordered that one from Universal with the JP3 free DVD offer in December. I hope it doesn't have these kind of problems.

8. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    You never mentioned if you took a close look at the surface of the disc. Does it have any marks, scratches, finger prints? Even though you wiped it I would still wash it with liquid dish soap, an oily finger print could cause this and not wipe off with out a grease removing soap. Try it in other DVD players also.

Wes