ACI Titan II LE or NHT Sub 2 for 80/20 music to HT?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Edward M, Dec 19, 2001.

1. Edward M

Edward M Stunt Coordinator

I currently have Paradigm studio 40's as fronts, 20's for surround and CC center speaker powered by Denon 3801.

I listen to alot of acoustic rock, thru harder rock with a growing interest in Jazz and Classical. I'm up in the air as to which sub would best fit my needs. I'm in a small room (14' wd x 16' lg x about 10' high). I seem to enjoy 2 channel listening to multichannel or home theater.

They are both known to be quick subs capable of reproducing music. The NHT is +- 3db down to 21 hz, the ACI +-3db to 20 hz but i'm sure the NHT might be slightly louder overall.

Thanks for your inputs.

2. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

Go with the Titan II here. It is in the same league as the SVS 20-39PC, Adire Audio Dharman, and Paradigm PW-2200.

3. Joseph Michael

Joseph Michael Auditioning

I also have a Paradigm & NHT setup . Studio 100v.2-main, Studio CC-Center, Studio ADP-surrounds and (2) NHT Sub 2i's. I'm using a Denon 3801 Receiver for my home theater requirements.

I've owed or demo'd many of the subwoofers that are highly regarded on this forum. Many of them have incredible output in the 15-35 Hz range (wonderful for home theater movie special effects) but when employed for music or concert DVD's (my favorite), IMHO very few match the accuracy of musical bass the NHT Sub 2 produces. The bass guitar and kick drum just sound more "live" to me (the sub's frequency response is very flat - no mid bass bump). Slight graduations in bass frequencies are very accurately reproduced. The Sub 2 also has good ouput down low, but not the equivalent of many of the bottom dwellers talked about here.

My listening room is very large (6000 cu ft.) so I needed two subs. One sub would satisfy my home theater requiements in a smaller room. Please understand - I love lots of high quality bass, but probably do not have the same absolute home theater bass requirements as some on the forum.

I've listened to both the older NHT Sub 2 (2-10" woofers, 500 watts Sunfire Amp) and it's replacement, the NHT Sub 2i (2-12" woofers, 500 watts Sunfire Amp) and believe the (2) sounds slightly tighter than the (2i). The (2i) has slightly more ouput. When I was ready to buy, I could not find a new Sub (2) so I ended up with the (2i). Still very happy!

4. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Well, I don't think I'd compare the Titan II to the SVS, Dharman, etc. But I do think it would be an excellent choice for a 2-channel music setup. The Titan II uses ACI's SV12 driver with a Qtc of .6 per Mike Dzurko. Also the funiture quality cabinets are stunning.

Many people have chosen the Titan II over some of the REL subs which are roughly twice the price.

Brian

5. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Anthony,

That' precisely what I'm saying. From an output standpoint I wouldn't put the Titan II in the same league as the others. But from a musicality standpoint (low QTC sealed enclosure) I'd consider the Titan II superior.

Brian

6. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Jack,

Yes this would be a much better comparison. But the Titan has much steeper crossovers as well as built-in equalization and driver limiting. But it's also about 3 times the cost of a Rava too!

Brian

7. Edward M

Edward M Stunt Coordinator

Unboxed it and noticed that it doesn't look like the picture on the website. Between the legs they routed in (3) 1/4 inch wide vertical "stripes" on all 4 sides. Of course this doesn't match the decor as easily as a sub w/o stripes. And the wife no longer likes the look i've been trying to sell her on. She even favors a plain square box over the striped titan. In addition it arrived with a split in the wood up a portion of one leg. ACI is very helpful and willing to work on my with these issues.

It's been playing for a couple hours. Can't wait to see how good this thing gets. I'm still curious about the NHT sub 2 (preferrably the 2 10inch design). Maybe it's because I also have an NHT setup in another room. This sub was for the living area Paradigm Reference system.

Ed

8. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Ed,

That's interesting. I actually hoped they would route in the grooves as I thought it looked kinda plain without it. I was planning on building a similar styled sub but adding the grooves so that it would match my other speakers.

Yes, ACI has great customer service. If you talk with Jack tell him I said hello!

Brian