ACI Titan II LE and General Sub Questions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Evan S, Jun 7, 2002.

1. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

OK, I'm doing my research and saving now for an eventual subwoofer upgrade around Christmas time and have really focused in on the ACI Titan II LE. Not only is this a truly beautiful looking sub that would mirror the aesthetics of my Paradigm Ref 40's and 20's, but I use my HT for about 85% music, 15% HT, and the ACI is suppose to be eminently musical because of it's sealed design. I'm not one for huge output levels anyway and my puny Mirage BPS-100 has a musicality I don't want to lose, but I want to gain the extra 10 low hertz I'm missing right now. But I have some questions.

1) The ACI has two lowpass filters (A&B). Can someone tell me how these work? If I wanted to crossover my Paradigm's at 60htz, would I set both the A and B filter to 65? Would I only need to set one filter? For someone who has a sub with only one crossover, this is confusing. Plus, I disable mine because I do all crossover adjustments in my Anthem AVM-20.

2) It says on the website that you can use the theater direct input which will disable the volume control. Does this mean that if you use this input basically the gain on the amp is turned all the way up and you have to regulate the integration of sub and speakers via the processor alone?

3) My current sub has no phase control. Can someone tell me what the purpose of this is and how it's used correctly for an ignoramus?

Thanks. I have heard nothing but good things about this sub, but want to make sure it fits my needs first before I make some kind of committment.

2. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

John Desmond, paging John Desmond... [​IMG]

3. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    2) That's what it sounds like. Don't worry, your processor should be able to adjust the levels appropriately (many DIY subs use this method).

3) Phase control helps reduce cancellation between your mains and sub (assuming your mains are set to large).

4. Michael Mohrmann

Michael Mohrmann Screenwriter

1) Each of the crossovers have 12 dB/octave slopes and are independent of each other. In the simple case of using your processor's crossover, you would set each Titan II LE crossover to the maximum (250 Hz). Setting one crossover at 60 Hz and the other at the maximum, you would have a 60 Hz @ 12 dB/octave crossover. Setting both crossovers at 60 Hz, you would a combined 60 Hz @ 24dB/octave crossover. Some people may use the two at different crossover settings.

2) Yep, the gain on the sub's amp is set to maximum with the Theater Input. I connected this way at first, but I had to turn the sub's output on my AVM-20 way down. I thought my bass response was a little thin, so I opted to use the Left/Right Inputs on the sub. This allowed me to set the output on the AVM-20 much closer to 0 dB, which in turn produced better bass performance (in my system).

Michael

5. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Michael, thank you very much. I guess I need to read up on Subwoofer technology because I'm not sure when the application would be suitable for two crossovers at different settings and I'm not sure how the two separate crossovers interact for optimal sound.

Can you tell me how the sub has integrated into your system? Your likes and dislikes as well as what you compared it to and why you made the choice you did? Thanks.

6. Michael Mohrmann

Michael Mohrmann Screenwriter

Evan,

Having separate crossovers primarily gives you the option of having either a 12 dB/octave or a 24 dB/octave crossover. This does give the owner a bit more flexibility when trying to blend a sub with the mains, which could be small or large speakers.

Using both crossovers at different settings might help further with the blending, allowing the sub to cross over at 12 dB/octave between the crossovers, then 24 dB/octave after the "highest" crossover. It may also be a way to level off a bass hump in the room.

I just responded to your email requesting the information about the Titan II LEs and our system.

Michael

7. Jeffrey_S

Jeffrey_S Stunt Coordinator

Evan,

For what it's worth, I bought and built an original ACI Titan sub about 3 years ago. I found it to be very musical giving plenty of tight bass. I recently replaced it with a vented Adire Tempest DIY sub. I only replaced the Titan because I wanted more punch during movies. I was extremely pleased with the Titan for music.

All that having been said, I have heard that the Titan II is very different than the original Titan that I built in its output capabilities. I think it's supposed to be capable of even more output. I'd like to add that I found ACI to be a great company to deal with. Their support staff is great.

Jeff

8. Edward M

Edward M Stunt Coordinator

Ok...I don't post often but feel I need to in this case. I have Paradigm Studio 40's, 20's and CC. The 40's are on the Premier stands. After endless searching I went with the ACI Titan II LE for my 80-90% music application. My advise, quit looking, buy the ACI and get into enjoying your music / movies. And by the way it is more than loud enough for movies in my room with great definition.

Ed