Achh, Cap'n...I held it in my hand!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Lambert, Nov 3, 2001.

1. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

I was in a store yesterday that I visit from time to time. I was looking for some hard to find DVD's, so I pretty much just started scanning the shelves at one end and went all the way to the other end.
    When I got to the SciFi/Box Set area, I couldn't help but notice, just next to The Wicker Man wooden box, the 6-pack box set for Star Trek films.
    Including TMP! [​IMG]
    Since I already own the discs for 2-6 (yep, even 5), and since I had no desire to pay the price they were asking for the set, I searched high and low to see if they also broke street date on the individual TMP box.
    Nope.
    So I asked a saleman. Showed him the box, said "I have all these others titles except for this yellow-colored one...I don't see it on the shelf; do you have it in the back maybe?". He looked it up on his system and saw that 3 dozen were in the back.
    He literally started to say "I'll go get it" and head to the back room, when he thought better of it and checked for a street date. "Sorry, sir...I'm not able to sell this to you until the 6th".
    Darn it, I was sooooo close!!! [​IMG]
    So close I could taste it...
    I tried to "reason" with him, but he held fast. For the first time in my life I considered offering someone a bribe... [​IMG]
    Ah, well...repeat after me David: "Tuesday. Best Buy. $19.99. Tuesday. Best Buy. $19.99. Tuesday. Best Buy. $19.99....."
    Anyone else ever do this? [​IMG]
    ------------------
    DAVE/Memphis
    [​IMG]
    MORE TV ON DVD, PLEASE!

2. Joel C

Joel C Screenwriter

3. David Lambert

NoNoNoNoNoNoNoNo...
    I mean "has anyone ever considered bribing a store employee to sell you a DVD early?"
    I figure it's not worth it; If I offered him a tenner and he took it, it would have been like paying $35 for a title I can get for $20 in 4 days.
    Sigh.
    ------------------
    DAVE/Memphis
    [​IMG]
    MORE TV ON DVD, PLEASE!

4. JamesCS

JamesCS Stunt Coordinator

I did. I went into a Blockbuster just prior to the Episode I release date and told an employee that I wanted to purchase the Phantom Menace on DVD. Of course I didn't mention the release date thing as I was hoping to pull a fast one over the employee. Well, this teenager looked into the air and said, "Phantom Menace. Phantom Menace...hmmm" And to my delight he went to look it up on the computer - having no clue about this movie or DVD. I could taste this movie on the tip of my fingers - DVD victory was going to be mine! Sensing momentum in my direction I persisted every more subtly towards my goal. As he typed away I casually mentioned, "I didn't see any copies out. Perhaps you have some more in the back waiting to be shelved." Oh yes. This was going to be easy I thought to myself. And just as he turned towards the the back room, he caught a glimpse of the screen out of the corner of his eye and said, "wait, this is telling me it's not out until next Tuesday. Come back on Tuesday." Damn. Foiled by an acne-challenged DVD no-nothing Blockbuster employee. The same employee who told me a few weeks earlier they didn't stock the DTS version of Saving Private Ryan because "most people don't have a digital television yet." True story here people. I can't believe I was foiled by this guy.

5. Jeff R.

Jeff R. Stunt Coordinator

I saw the Star Trek boxed set on the shelves this past week also. I was quite surprised to see that it included TMP. I looked for a standalone copy but no luck. I'm not desperate enough to buy all the movies for a second time just to get the first one a few days early, especially since they are going to start releasing special editions of them starting next year.

6. Elbert Lee

Elbert Lee Supporting Actor

I sympathize with you. Just try to think of other things before the street date. I confess that I never thought much about ST: TMP. Since last watching it, my impression was that it was one of the weakest of the ST movies. However, after more exposure to TNG and the rest of the ST universe, I can see now that much has been borrowed from TMP. I watched the movie in segments throughout the last 2 weeks (mornings before work) and it seemed much better this time around. The updating of the special effects fit in well with this older film without looking "imposed" like the Star Wars special editions. IN retrospect, I personally think that TMP is probably the 3rd or 4th best picture in the original STar Trek crew movie series (behind II, IV, VI, and maybe III - in that order)
    Elbert

7. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Not to me, but a similar incident happened to my uncle (who is a serious movie buff/historian)
    He read the infamous article in the AJ-C about Turner recalling the Bugs Bunny video with Bugs Bunny Nips the Nips (which is one of the funniest cartoons ever made, BTW).
    Well, he loves cartoons...especially the classic Looney Tunes. He went to the local video store (Media Play I think) and they REFUSED to sell him the video! In fact, some guy was taking the volume down right in front of him!
    He called Movies Unlimited and PLEADED for the video and he got it.
    The moral? NEVER GIVE UP ON SOMETHING COOL!

8. Mike Brantley

Mike Brantley Stunt Coordinator

QUOTING PATRICK: The moral? NEVER GIVE UP ON SOMETHING COOL!
    ---------------------------
    That's a good policy for life. [​IMG]
    No TMP DVD until Tuesday, but I'm listening to Goldsmith's score now. The music has always been my favorite part of the movie. Can't wait for this DVD...
    ------------------
    Mike Brantley
    Our Screening Room
    Our DVD collection

9. Brian Lawrence

Brian Lawrence Producer

Brian
    I got my copy from my local Wally World on Friday [​IMG]

10. Nathan_R

Nathan_R Supporting Actor

I didn't know the street date of TMP, but this reminds me of the Phantom Menace quest we engaged in a couple of weeks ago.
    My advice, if you can't wait and you're in Atlanta, go to the same chain from the TPM thread. I saw at least 20 copies this past week while I was searching for The Beastmaster.
    Regards,
    ~~Nathan
    ------------------
    ...just lost drunken men who don't know where they are and no longer care.

11. Carl Walker

Carl Walker Stunt Coordinator

My copy arrived yesterday (Saturday) from a certain deeply discounted online store... The same store that got me my copy of Shrek on Monday [​IMG]

12. David Lambert

I went BACK to the same store today, and pulled the SAME thing on a different associate.
    When he looked it up, I couldn't help but notice that the inventory count was down to 35. So they sold one. HAH!
    So I asked him to get one out of the back for me. He thought it was strange that it wasn't put out yet with so many copies back there.
    HE actually went to the back to get it for me.
    He came back out, talking on the cordless phone, no doubt to someone in authority. He went to the shelf where the box set was, picked it up, brought it to me, and told me that neither the stand-alone copy OR the box set was supposed to be out until Tuesday. Apologized, said they "could get sued" if they sold it early. He promptly took the box set to the back room.
    I said "okay", then bought the Sister Act/Sister Act 2 double pack that's not supposed to be out until Tuesday either. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    DAVE/Memphis
    [​IMG]
    MORE TV ON DVD, PLEASE!
    Do you like TV on DVD? Then check THIS out!
    ..... http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/ .....
    [Edited last by David Lambert on November 04, 2001 at 06:00 PM]