Acetone to clean DVDs?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Warren_Sc, Dec 31, 2002.

1. Warren_Sc

Warren_Sc Second Unit

Hello-
    I had a problem with a DVD I rented from Blockbuster that prevented me from seeing the very end of the movie. I noticed one small scratch and a lot of cloudy residue of some sort covering the disc. I have seen employees "cleaning" the DVDs with some sort of chemical from a small spray bottle.
    I told the manager about the situation and mentioned the residue. First he told me that it is not a chemical, it is acetone (which I avoided arguing with him about). [​IMG]
    He says that it is not residue, it just dries that way (avoided that one, too). [​IMG]
    Then he says that acetone will not harm the plastic (on the DVD) and that he is a chemistry major at the University of CO. [​IMG]
    Somebody help me here... does anyone use acetone to clean their DVDs? What do you use to clean your DVDs? Is this guy a royal jackass? My experience with acetone suggests that the cloudy residue which can also contain some pretty clear fingerprints is the "cleaner" reacting with the plastic.

2. Tom Tsai

Tom Tsai Supporting Actor

I don't know if acetone is the right thing to use for cleaning DVDs (I wouldn't try), but I doubt the cloudy residue is from acetone. Acetone dries up really fast and doesn't leave residues.

3. Brian Lawrence

Brian Lawrence Producer

Brian
    NO never ever use acetone on dvds or cds, NEVER NEVER NEVER!!!!

That crap will eat right into the plastic and fog it up really bad.

4. Shaun C

Shaun C Agent

To just clean, I use a tissue and glass cleaner, (Windex or Glass Plus). For scratches it's Disk Doctor.

5. Brian Lawrence

Brian Lawrence Producer

Brian
    I find the best way to clean fingerprints off of a dvd or cd, is to breath on the surface of the disc and then wipe it with a piece of soft flannel.

6. Brenton

Brenton Screenwriter

I have a little bottle of lens cleaner that my optometrist gave me for my glasses, and I've used it to clean discs (with a soft rag) when they get dusty or fingerprinted.

7. JohnRice

JohnRice Lead Actor

John
    This guy is a Chemistry major and he says Acetone is not a chemical? Well, his substantial tuition is certainly money well spent.

I rent a lot of DVDs and buy a lot of previous rentals, and this is what I do. I got a pack of soft cotton cloths intended for buffing the wax off a car. Hopefully I don't really need to say this, but don't use them to buff your car and then clean DVDs. If there are fingerprints or other non-sticky stuff on the surface, I gently clean it with the cloth with some rubbing alcohol on it. I actually soak it pretty well and the wipe it off with a dry part of the cloth. If there is something sticky that the rubbing alcohol doesn't get, I do the same thing with denatured alcohol just on the sticky spot.

I would never, never, never, never, never use acetone. No way. no how. It would have to soften the disc, even if it wasn't obvious. If you get something really stubborn, you can use Goo Gone, but I hesitate a bit to use that one the front surface and have never found anything the denatured alcohol didn't take care of. If I did that, I would follow up by cleaning the Goo Gone off with alcohol.

8. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    One of the incredible properties of acetone is that it breaks down plastics. Perhaps there is a reason he is a Blockbuster manager instead of a chemical engineer.

9. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

A chemistry major? I think that he's closer to a chemistry private....

Anyway, any CD or DVD cleaner on the market would work, and one bottle would last you awhile, unless you do a lot of renting.

I'm curious to know if these bottles that this guy is using are blank or labeled. Also, if you want to have some fun, I think that you ought to look Acetone up on the net, and print out what it does to plastic, and drop it off next time you're there.

Glenn

10. Warren_Sc

Warren_Sc Second Unit

Like I mentioned, I avoided several arguements with this guy. In high school I would make or help make skim boards, working with fiberglass. Acetone was the solvent of choice. I started as a chemical engineer in college (switched to aerospace), too. Instead of ripping into the guy I chose the Obi-Wan path, "...who is more foolish? The fool or the fool who argues with him?"

11. Allan Mack

Allan Mack Supporting Actor

12. Robert Dunnill

Robert Dunnill Second Unit

I use a dab of dish soap, a wet, soapy Kleenex, and tepid tap water to clean dirty discs. The technique is effective enough to remove fingerprints and other organic gunk, and sometimes, it's even cleaned up the marks left when loose discs slid around in the case during shipment.

RD