What's new

Acend VS Axiom (1 Viewer)

mike__j

Grip
Does anyone have an opion on eather brand surround speakers? I am trying to decide on which one to go with. I have not heard either one of them. Thanks

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
For the $1900 plus subwoofer of the Axiom system, you could easily look at $2096 for a 5.1 system from Ascend ...

this system would include: 340's for mains AND surrounds AND center... and the Hsu VTF-3 Mark II subwoofer...

A 170 package without a subwoofer, but 4 170's and a 340 center channel would run under $900 delivered...

They are both GREAT systems... The Epic 80 is a larger, more expensive system... and is capable of much more output... The Ascend is a great value...

Hope this helps...

mike__j

Grip
Yes this helps. Have you heard both systems? Will the Acend system give me the realism of a movie sound?

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
We have both Axioms and Ascends here... The Ascend 340 system will knock your socks off ...actually both will. The Ascend package will do it for less $$$

you won't know until you listen. honest.

i've owned systems from ascend, av123, and axiom.

the ascend system was the best choice for me IMHO.

both. i won't post specifics any longer because criticism is not well received in the speaker world. feel free to PM me if you want to know more.

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Axiom DOES have packages that are a better match for the Ascends. The Epic 80's are a full range speaker... so the package is more expensive.

If You look at the Axiom Epic Grand Master package... it is about $1050 without a subwoofer... THAT would also make a terrific package.

Add the SVS PB1-ISD... and for about $1700 delivered, another killer package.

Both Ascend and Axiom have excellent forums. I would suggest you look at Axiomaudio.com - their forum is available from the website. Type in a search for Ajax and tell him I sent you... he will help you.

For Ascend, PM Chris Quinn right here on HTF... or Curtis Chang... they will help you there...

Good luck !

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
I haven't heard the Axioms. So, I'm not a real help for comparisons between the two. I believe Curtis has though.

I replaced Paradigm Mini-Monitors with Ascend Acoustics 170s and no longer desire Paradigm Studio 20s.

340s were shipped to me this evening. Next week I can elaborate on them.

My personal belief is that if you put 340s across the front(I do have the 340CC) and 170s as surrounds with a good sub you can concentrated on improving your front end(sources) for a good while before you'll be looking for new speakers..

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Mike,
Can't you take advantage of their generous return policies and make that decision for yourself? Chances are if you ask 10 people you are going to get 10 different responses.

BrianAe

Second Unit
One big factor is do you care about a nice finish or are black boxes OK? If you don't care about finish, then Ascend is a great choice since I believe they are one of the only companies that I believe really pass along the savings that go with the black box look.

cabreau

Second Unit
I really like the look of those Axioms. If I ever get a chance, or build a second Home Theater room, I'm going to give those a try.

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
I would not pass up the opportunity to listen to some Rockets or Refs by Onix.... Toss them into the mix.

MarkRaley

Auditioning
I have been reading the forums for about six months, read threads from a year or so back, and have noticed this from some Rocket supporters....a thread where they are not even asked about, and no ask for suggestions, someone has to interject them into the mix.

Is that a usual occurence? I see it happens with other brands a bit too, but seems to happen more with Rockets much more often.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
It happens with EVERY internet brand. Svs Supporters have been accused of this too in the past and rightfully so. Don't get me wrong both Onix and SVS are great products but the owners get a little over zealous at times. To some its not a huge deal and actually a good thing, and to some its an irritable issue.

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
I am not an over zealous owner... Why limit yourself to two out of the top three or four internet brands. Just like SVS and HSU for subs. Both have their followings and both are great companies. All the internet brand speaker companies are good, I have dealt with several of them over the last two years. Sorry for the intrusion but I was not trying to sell anything just add somthing for the poster to consider.

MarkRaley

Auditioning
Shane and Mike,

I understand you both, thanks.

But Mike, are you saying that you think the poster didn't already consider Rockets?

paul clipsel

Stunt Coordinator
I was looking at the 170's for a bedroom setup how would you characterize the sound in comparison to Paradigm?

PC

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks