What's new

Ace Ventura (1 Viewer)

Dean Kousoulas

Second Unit
I gave in and bought it yesterday. I am 100% against Pan & Scam, but i'm very confident that Warner will not re-release their P&S only movies, most of which I own simply because I love the movie (Vacation series, Sour Grapes, Grumpy Old Men 1&2, etc)

Dean

Russell B

Stunt Coordinator
I have the full screen or P&S version from way back when it was first released. Any word on a widescreen version? I would be great if they added in the scenes from the tv version as well like the bar scene before going to Finkles house and the scene where Ace is moshing with Cannibal Corpse on the stage. Were there any other scenes i'm forgetting?

Drew Mertz

Stunt Coordinator
If I remember correctly there was a chat with warner a little while ago and the question was asked about ace. There reply was no plans to revisit it.

I believe when NBC runs the movie there is 5 - 8 new scenes added in. other than the 2 you mentioned all I can think of is a scene where ace is on the phone in Shady Acres.

Hopefully if Warner ever does revisit the movie they will atleast put those scenes in the supplement section. I love the extra scene with Cannibal Corpse.

Raymond_H

Stunt Coordinator
I'm surprised as well this movie hasn't got the full treatment.

It definetly has its following, and I'm sure any special edition of this and its sequel will have people waiting to buy it, I know I would.

Raymond

Bill Burns

Supporting Actor
I've had the laserdisc since it was released, and happily that's widescreen, but several years ago I had the DVD in my hand at Best Buy, walking toward the check-out counter, and happened to flip the case over to peruse the back as I was walking ... only to discover it's P&S or open matte (often, though not always, open matte is still a bit cropped to avoid boom mikes and other production junk that cinematographers allow for production reasons into the very top of frames, knowing it'll be matted out in projection). Blech. That's not a theatrical experience! That's not what I saw in theaters! I believe there was a commentary, too, which bests the laserdisc, but ... it rubs me the wrong way to watch a version of a film that needlessly alters the visual experience I enjoyed in a cinema, much less to pay good money for same. So I put it back. :thumbsdown:
An anamorphic widescreen reissue would be very welcome, and I'd certainly buy it.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
I agree that this movie definitely deserves a SE treatment and it would be an added bonus if they could get Jim Carrey to do a commentary track. I seriously doubt that's going to happen, though.

David Illingworth II

Second Unit
I like the commentary. Shadyac mentions some of the deleted scenes and shares some anecdotes, like pointing out that the scene at Shady Acres was the beginning of production and originally Ace's hair was going to look like that through the whole movie. I don't think we'll see a widescreen of this on DVD. Maybe HD-DVD. Guess we'll just have to wait about 3 years.

jonathan_govols

Stunt Coordinator
This would be an instant gold mine. I don't get it, Army of Darkness gets 500 different releases and we can't even get a freakin' Ace Ventura Special Edition? :) (No offense AoD fans just a comparison)

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
With Jim Carrey having turned into a such a huge star, I don't understand why they're leaving his first hit out to rot. Alright, so it's not the greatest comedy of all time, but it definitely deserves an OAR release.

Frank@N

Screenwriter
Hard to believe the horrific sequel is in wide-screen...

I actually bought it, thinking it was Ace 1.

Then returned it!

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
Someone asked about re-visiting Ace in OAR ala the Vacation films at the last Warner chat, and while the Warner rep didn't let anything slip, he stated that the Vacation titles were just the beginning of Warner going back and offering OAR versions of their comedies. Sounded to me like Ace was definitely a possibility.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Since this is one of WB's bigger hits that is P&S only on DVD AND they're replacing some of the P&S discs with new widescreen ones (Vacation films, A Christmas Story, Driving Miss Daisy, etc) I think this is a potential SE.

Besides a new 16x9 transfer, it would probably get the director's commentary from the LD and perhaps a new Carrey commentary. Add the deleted scenes and other materials...perhaps even the script or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks