Ace of Base--Da Capo

Discussion in 'Music' started by Kenny Goldin, Mar 10, 2004.

1. Kenny Goldin

Kenny Goldin Second Unit

I did a search for "ace base" and found 5 threads, 3 of which dealt with "the crummiest bands of the 90s," "the most over played songs of all times," and "cds you are embarrased to own." [​IMG] So I guess they are generally looed down upon (they were even kind of made fun of in a South Park episode (the one where the find the frozen guy from 1996 [​IMG] )
    So, I thought this band needed a thread showing them a little love here on HTF. [​IMG]

Well, I know Ace of base is probably considered a has been or never was, but this import CD, "Da Capo," IMHO is brilliant. There is not one single stinker on the CD. I really liked the albums "The Sign" and "The Bridge" but was really dissapointed with "Cruel Summer" to the point I almost gave up on them. But I saw this import and took a chance on it and I just simply cannot turn it off. All the songs get a 5+ out of 5 form me with the exception of the title track which would still be a stoundout on a lot of other CDs but is just average here. It seems every day I think I will be playing the same song for the rest of my life but get hooked on a new one each day. yesterday it was "Ordinary Life." Today it is "Hey Darling." I am really not much of a reviewer but if you are at all a fan of the pop/techno/dance genre, please give this a listen. It is a tad pricey being an import but I swear this is my desert Island CD. Really amazing stuff.[​IMG]

2. EricSchulz

EricSchulz Producer

WOOHOO!!! I thought I was the only one that knew about this pop/dance music gem! It is by far their most perfect album. It is a shame it has not been released here in the US. Anyone that was a fan of their music should definitely seek this out.

3. Kenny Goldin

Kenny Goldin Second Unit

[​IMG] [​IMG] Yeah, and truth be told some of their hits like The Sign got tiresome (though I do like them) but there are some really, really great overlooked songs from their older albums like "Waiting for Magic," (my favorite AoB song before discovering the Da Capo album) "Just 'N' Image," and "Young and Proud" are great too. Just don't think of "The Sign" and think that is all they have ever done.

4. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

Wow, I hadn't heard from them for so long, I thought they broke up. 9 reviews on Amazon and all are positive, but granted, there are only 9 of them. Oh well, 11 positive reviews are good enough for me. I'll purchase it when I have enough money.

5. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

I just got this a couple days ago. Quite possibly their best album, right up there with "The Bridge". My favorite track is "Beautiful Morning", a very uplifting song that becomes even more poignant when you learn how it came about: Jenny, Linn and Jonas wrote it the morning after their father passed away.

The whole album is just amazing, except perhaps for "Hey Darling", which sounds like a leftover track from "The Sign".

Sadly, the album has done very poorly in Europe (a little over 200,000 copies sold. Then again, what does their label expect when they don't even give the thing a worldwide release?), and it seems as though the band is going on hiatus. Jenny's coming out with a solo album this year, Joker set up a production studio, not sure what Linn and Buddha are up to. Their label hasn't dropped them (they're very profitable in the way of compilations), but it'll probably take some time before they go back to the studio. Which sucks, because they've really grown as musicians and they're long past their "sugary pop/techno" days.