What's new

Ace In The Hole restoration - DVD Release on 07-17-07 See Post #66 (1 Viewer)

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Considering all the astonishing movies either of them made, it's possibly overstating it to say it's Wilder's and Douglas' best film, but if it isn't it's certainly damn close.

And a film that has as much - if not more - relevance today as it did on the day it was released.

The Criterion is a lip-smacking prospect.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I don't think it's a spoiler to mention that the plot centers around the press coverage of a man trapped in a cave. I knew that long before I saw the movie, and it's certainly set up quite early on in the film.

Now THESE details are spoilers!

Both the man in the cave and Douglas' character end up dead by the end.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Many people don't even want to know what the plot is center on, especially for those experiencing a classic film like this one for the first time.

John,
I agree with you to a certain extent, this is a good film, but obviously some of you like it a lot more than I do.

Crawdaddy

Charles H

Screenwriter
I would hope that the licensing of ACE IN THE HOLE and IF to Criterion would
lnspire Paramount to license out more of their product to Criterion: My all-time "dream" Criterion SE would be MY SON JOHN: SE.

Jeff Newcomb

Second Unit

We know that they've got Robinson Crusoe on Mars and Bergman's Face to Face in the pipeline. Sam Fuller's White Dog is suspected as well. Beyond that, One-Eyed Jacks, The Mattei Affari, and Hearts of Darkness are among the titles that I've heard speculated/wished for. My Son John would indeed be quite a coup.

Danny Burk

Second Unit
And WINGS.

Not to mention some other Paramount silents which they (Paramount) have absolutely no interest in releasing:

DOCKS OF NEW YORK
THE LAST COMMAND
THE WEDDING MARCH
UNDERWORLD
among others...

GeorgeJA

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
George Agnos

Yes! I would love to see Paramount license out their W.C. Fields silents like IT'S THE OLD ARMY GAME and SO'S YOUR OLD MAN.

Getting back to the topic at hand, I just recently saw ACE IN THE HOLE for the first time and can now understand why people have been anxious for a DVD release. What a powerful film!

George

Rod J

Premium
Real Name
Rodney Jewett

3 days of continuous CNN coverage of the circus of a little girl stuck in a hole.

Life imitating "art". The movie was just so true.

Corey

Screenwriter

They have several Clara Bow films that have been recently restored, but they obviously have no plans to release them. Let Crriterion or Kino have them.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Any updates?

It's been almost three weeks, and I'm dying here!! :)

I've been searching the web at least 2-3 times a week trying to find more details, but nothing so far.

Since Criterion has already announced the June titles, shouldn't we be expecting an announcement pretty soon?

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
WOW!!

I was hoping for the documentary, but I thought the odds of it actually being included were infinitessimal. I'm going to have to take a vacation day, when this is released. Speaking of, I don't see a release date anywhere on that listing.

Bruce Morrison

Supporting Actor

If you click on one of the other "Coming soon" titles, 'Ace In The Hole' is then shown as a July release. You might have to do this a few times to get 'Ace In The Hole' to appear in the list - the three films listed each time seem to be chosen at random from their upcoming titles. (Criterion should really modify their web site to include this basic information in the details for each film.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks