What's new

Ace In The Hole restoration - DVD Release on 07-17-07 See Post #66 (1 Viewer)

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor

This is a major disappointment after several years of assurances (from combined studio sources and one of the mods) that this one was being actively restored. Licensing to Criterion would certainly make sense and would be a bit of a coup for them. Paramount has 'dropped the ball' once again...Does anyone doubt that this title would find a market? It boggles the mind...

Joel

Jeff Newcomb

Second Unit
Now confirmed to me independently via Criterion producer Kim Hendrickson:

Mods: Could we change the thread title to remove the interrogative and indicate that this is due from Criterion in July?

Jeff Newcomb

Second Unit

Well done, Jonathan. Here is the IMDb profile and a blurb from The New York Times. Apparently, it also played at Cannes in 1980. I haven't seen this one, but I'd sure like to now. Hopefully this will indeed show up on the Criterion disc.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson

Thank you so much for confirming the existence of this documentary. I would love to see this some day. Does this documentary make an attempt to cover Wilder's whole career or is it focused more on his career at that time (i.e. THE END) This certainly seems to fit the bill for Criterion, but if it is focused on the end of his career it doesn't make much of a companion piece for "Ace in the Hole" which was made at the height of his powers following "Sunset Boulevard".

Danny Burk

Second Unit
Could this mean that, at last, we might see WINGS from Criterion? Given Criterion's record of silent releases, I won't hold my breath, but finally there is hope......

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
In the same way that Ace in the Hole's recent success on the revival circuit (at Film Forum and other houses) helped pave the way for its DVD release, I hope that the same can soon be said for Sam Fuller's White Dog. A new print played at Film Forum as part of the Morricone Retrospective and will receive a stand-alone run at Chicago's Music Box in June. I've not yet heard how it was received or how ticket sales were, in New York, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Criterion folks were on hand for one of the shows.

Speaking of Paramount M.I.A. titles, it would be wonderful if The Friends of Eddie Coyle has also come up in discussions between Criterion and Paramount.

Jeff Newcomb

Second Unit

I haven't seen the doc, but according to online summaries the interviewer is Michel Ciment. He is a wonderful critic and very good at conducting such interviews (his Kubrick book is legendary).

Mike D

Stunt Coordinator
Criterion has also hinted at (confirmed?) releasing this in their March 2007 newsletter.

The clue quote is "Extra, Extra! Billy Wilder finally caves! Chuck Tatum's got the scoop!"

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson

To call that a clue is the understatement of the year!! Thanks for that. Was that in last month's newsletter or a newly receive one? I already deleted last month's and never noticed that.

Words cannot explain how insanely excited I am about this.

Corey

Screenwriter
is that all it says?? someone on the TCM messageboard is sayin ti's bein released in june or july...

GregoryMesh

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gregory Mesh
Chuck Tatum is the name of the character played by Kirk Douglas. He got the scoop about the guy falling in the cave and thus got a scoop that this film will come out on DVD.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Please, use spoilers when discussing the plotlines of films out of respect to others that might read this thread and have not seen the film being discussed. Thank you.

Crawdaddy

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
For those who are curious about seeing this film, or want to give it a trial run, it's going to be on TCM on Saturday (12:00 EST).

Also, when we were discussing extras, I neglected to mention the possible involvement of the star - Kirk Douglas. Wouldn't it be incredible if they at least got him to sit down and do 10-15 minute interview about the film? Although, his speech is pretty bad from the stroke, it seems like he has most of his faculties and memories. I can always hope!! :)

Corey

Screenwriter

That would be incredible. I wish more studios would include the actual stars who were in the films.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
I agree.

Kirk Douglas has been in some amazing films such as Spartacus amongst others.

I have not seen this before so I am excited that Criterion is releasing this

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks