What's new

Ace in the Hole/My Friend Irma/Save the Tiger Coming in October from Paramount (1 Viewer)

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
Terrific news!!!!!! "Ace in the Hole" has always been on my "most wanted" list.
Once again, I hope" Love With The Proper Stranger" is just around the corner!

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson

I was being a bit liberal there, because very few people even know about this movie, let alone consider it one of the all-time best.:D

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

yep. you and me both, Ken.
that's the only title i can think of that would have made me as excited as i am now.

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
Paramount "SHOULD" release this batch for Valentine's day:

BABY,IT'S YOU
FIRST LOVE
LOVE WITH THE PROPER STRANGER
THE STERILE CUCKOO

FrancisP

Screenwriter
Glad to see My Friend Irma being released. Hopefully this will lead to Paramount releasing more Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis films. The Stooge is the only one out and its not one of their best efforts.

Shawn Cornwell

Stunt Coordinator
quote:
__________________________________________________ _______

Hopefully this will lead to Paramount releasing more Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis films.
__________________________________________________ _______

Hear, hear. Specifically, I'd love to see two of the team's final (and best) efforts, "Artists and Models" and "Hollywood or Bust" find the light of day on DVD (I also have a soft spot for "That's My Boy" and "Scared Stiff").

It'd be nice to have a line of these Martin & Lewis movies released with extra features, similar to Paramount's DVDs of many of Lewis' solo films. 'Twofer' DVDs (for example ""That's My Boy"/"Sailor Beware" on one disc) could also be utilized to release the remaining not-on-DVD Martin & Lewis titles.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Considering what Paramount are capable of - the upcoming The High and The Mighty and Island in the Sky are prime examples - would it be churlish of me to bitch if either Ace in The Hole or Save The Tiger come to us without any extras?

I'm grateful that Paramount usually take the care and time to present their movies in the very best condition possible - in vision and sound - but these films are astonishing pieces of cinema, and deserve something, anything, on the extras front.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
ACE IN THE HOLE!!! Mine, mine, mine!!! :) :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Outside of the DVD producers themselves, who could've predicted that, after a good two decades of film buffs begging and pleading for them to be released on VHS/LD/DVD, we'd get THE HIGH & THE MIGHTY, NIGHTMARE ALLEY and ACE IN THE HOLE on legit home video within a few months of each other? What an astonishing year for R1 DVD!

htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Charles H

Screenwriter
Fans of ACE IN THE HOLE might want to take a look at the similarly-themed FIVE STAR FINAL, a 1931 indictment of tabloid exploitation starring Edward G. Robinson. Nominated for a Best Picture Oscar--and losing to the glossier GRAND HOTEL--it suffers from some dated supporting performances but it has terrific work from Robinson and an unusually-cast Boris Karloff.
It's being shown at 5:00 am (ET) tomorrow morning on TCM and has never appeared on home video.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Anybody hear of a firm date yet? Titles usually start showing up on on-line retailers sites within at about the 2 month mark, but these titles haven't shown up yet.

Color me impatient, but I've waited a week and a half so far, and it's kiling me.:D

LaurenceGarvey

Second Unit
I think THE STOOGE is one of Martin & Lewis's best; I'll probably get the Irmas, but the only other one I would snap up is THAT'S MY BOY.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
I'm waiting to see these officially up for pre-order before I leap up for joy...don't get me wrong, I'm in joy, just not leaping.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
Someone over in the TV forum is saying that next year, Paramount doesn't plan to release any catalogue titles.

Can anyone confirm that?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

I find that hard to believe that Paramount would just allow Warner and the other studios to sell their catelogue titles without offering up some competition for that market. Furthermore, it's not like they're releasing a bunch of titles each month.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
As much as I love The Apartment (and Jack Lemmon!) I have to say that Ace in the Hole is the Wilder film that means the most to me, as it fits in with my own worldview tightly. It transcends cynicism. Kirk is great and the camera moves and editing are amazing.

Hurry up and announce the specs, Paramount!

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Gordon,

I couldn't have said it better myself. "transcends cynicism" was the combination of words that I was hunting for, and you nailed it!:D

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
DVDPlanet is listing a release date of 10/25/05 for "My Friend Irma", "Detective Story", "The Strange Love of Martha Ivers" and "Save the Tiger". Still no word on "Ace in the Hole".

Crawdaddy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks