"Ace in the Hole" + Billy Wilder retrospective in Washington DC

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Haggai, Mar 17, 2006.

1. Haggai

Haggai Producer

I know from various threads in Software that there are some serious fans of Wilder's "Ace in the Hole" out there, so if any of them who don't live in this area (plus those who do, of course) are interested, the National Gallery of Art is having a big Wilder retrospective in April and May, with Ace in the Hole being shown on April 2 (a Sunday afternoon). Here's the full line-up.

I do recommend the National Gallery screenings for anyone who gets a chance to see something there--they have a great auditorium, about 500 seats, nice big screen. It's a wonderful place to see a movie, and they usually have nice prints. Plus, you can't beat the price...all screenings there are free!

2. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

Unfortunatly, the one time I did try going to a showing there (to see Russian Ark), it was pretty much full up. I ended up going to Bethesda Row to see it.

Jason

3. Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson Cinematographer

I wish I lived there. I managed to catch this in Chicago at a Wilder retrospective a couple of years ago, but it was on a very small screen.

Personally, I think this film is one of Wilder's very best and it's a travesty that it's not on DVD (Actually any home video format!)

4. Haggai

Haggai Producer

I saw the National Gallery's screening of Ace in the Hole this weekend. The print was excellent, with only a couple of scenes where the audio was a little shaky. So it certainly doesn't seem like there would be any issue with having good elements for a DVD transfer.