What's new

"Ace in the Hole" + Billy Wilder retrospective in Washington DC (1 Viewer)

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
I know from various threads in Software that there are some serious fans of Wilder's "Ace in the Hole" out there, so if any of them who don't live in this area (plus those who do, of course) are interested, the National Gallery of Art is having a big Wilder retrospective in April and May, with Ace in the Hole being shown on April 2 (a Sunday afternoon). Here's the full line-up.

I do recommend the National Gallery screenings for anyone who gets a chance to see something there--they have a great auditorium, about 500 seats, nice big screen. It's a wonderful place to see a movie, and they usually have nice prints. Plus, you can't beat the price...all screenings there are free!

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

Unfortunatly, the one time I did try going to a showing there (to see Russian Ark), it was pretty much full up. I ended up going to Bethesda Row to see it.

Jason

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I wish I lived there. I managed to catch this in Chicago at a Wilder retrospective a couple of years ago, but it was on a very small screen.

Personally, I think this film is one of Wilder's very best and it's a travesty that it's not on DVD (Actually any home video format!)

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
I saw the National Gallery's screening of Ace in the Hole this weekend. The print was excellent, with only a couple of scenes where the audio was a little shaky. So it certainly doesn't seem like there would be any issue with having good elements for a DVD transfer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks