acdc back in black reissue

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KevinJ, Feb 14, 2003.

1. KevinJ

KevinJ Supporting Actor

i just picked up a promo copy of the new reissue of this disc and to me this is the best sounding acdc cd i've heard to date[i haven't heard any of the other reissues yet but hopefully they're this good]highly recomended[they're out tuesday btw]

2. Jantzen

Jantzen Stunt Coordinator

Do you have the previous "remastered" Back in Black? If so how does it compare?

Thanks.

3. John Torrez

John Torrez Second Unit

I'd like to know that, and how the other discs sound. If they are that much better I will sell all my old copies and get the new ones.

4. KevinJ

KevinJ Supporting Actor

i have the version that came with the boxed set but it's never been listened to

5. Jantzen

You mean Bonfire? If you get a chance can you a/b a couple songs and give your impressions....

I'm sure I'm going to end up picking up a few anyways but I'm just curious if these are actually new remasters or the same as the last remasters...

thanks

6. KrisM

KrisM Second Unit

I had the original cd, have the remastered cd, and the Bonfire CD(same as the remaster, I think). There was a small difference to my ears between the orginal and the remaster. I would also be curious if the newest version is superior to the last one, or just a repackage.
    Unless there is a big improvement, I think I'll wait for the eventual high-res release.

Regards
    KrisM

7. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

I am looking forward to these remasters. Sony has been doing an excellent job with its remasters in my opinion.

8. KevinJ

KevinJ Supporting Actor

seeing as my back in black cd from the bonfire set's still in mint condition i think i'll leave it that way

9. Jantzen

ahhh - ok. I don't think it's going to be worth anything.

10. KevinJ

KevinJ Supporting Actor

true but since i have the new reissue i'll listen to it instead of the old one

11. Jantzen

Ok, guess I'll get to compare Tuesday - probably pick up a few... I'm sure I won't be able to resist. You can't have too many copies of Back in Black now, can you?

12. KevinJ

KevinJ Supporting Actor

nope

13. Dan Stone

Dan Stone Stunt Coordinator

14. KevinJ

KevinJ Supporting Actor

the last time i listened to this album in it's entirity was on lp years ago so i'm going on memory and what i've heard on the radio

15. Dan Stone

Dan Stone Stunt Coordinator

While I'm still very anxious to hear how the sound quality of these new versions compare to the last remastered releases, I have to say the pricing and packaging of the new releases looks very enticing. Amazon has some pictures posted of the new digipak releases for those who are interested.

16. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

I, for one, am disappointed to see digipaks. They sometimes look great and are nostalgic, but they are not practical. They look like garbage when the cardboard wears out (just like LPs; part of the nostalgia, I guess), and if the "teeth" on the disc holder break, you're screwed. [​IMG] [​IMG]

17. Jantzen

Here's a quick and dirty review of the new AC/DC remasters...

I picked up all of them - couldn't resist at the price. Anyway, the first thing I noticed is that the packaging is really cool - I agree the digipaks suck for durability but they really work here - giving a "album" feel to all the CD's. The booklets are really great though this is comparing it to practically nothing in the previous CD's...

Also, I quickly tried the ConnecteD feature with Back in Black and though there weren't a ton of extras (maybe a dozen pictures, 3 videos, an audio interview and tour dates) it's nice nonetheless. And I will check out all content for all the discs.

Anyway on to what really matters - the sound...

I did a quick A-B of select tracks from each of the new remasters with the last remasters (well the LIVE disc wasn't previously remastered so this was just against the regular release obviously). I was listening to the discs on a Sony SCD-775 CD player using Sennheiser HD-570 headphones.

Most evident is that these are not the same remasters - it is pretty obvious from the sound but most noticeable by the fact that the last set of these discs (except LIVE) were re-mastered by Ted Jensen. These new ones were done by George Marino - who did do some of the previous remasters but none of these new ones (until now).

Anyway, to my ears, I noticed a better high end, i.e. more realistic cymbals and also clearer vocals. The overall sound has more of a "live" feel to it, more "air" around the instruments. The differences were most noticeable on the studio albums - the A-B of the LIVE album was a little bit closer sonically - the newer remaster is better but by a smaller margin - I guess since it's a much newer recording...

One thing I noticed on T.N.T. is some static or breakup during the backing "Oi's" and "T-N-T" parts. I think this is just a limitation of the source tape that wasn't evident on the last remasters. I listened to a few more tracks on High Voltage and didn't notice it anywhere else though.

So I think any serious AC/DC fan should pick these up. Casual fans may want to pass if they already have the last remasters... The combination of improved sound, great packaging, online content and the current great price make it a no-brainer for the more serious fan. I would give the last remasters a 9/10 sound-wise and these a 10/10. I think this is as good as it will get for AC/DC on CD until high rez releases come. Let me tell you I was praying for the SACD light to come on when I first loaded in Back in Black but no luck.

Hope this quick review helps those on the fence - especially at the great prices this week for these discs at some B&M stores. I plan on using the old remasters in the car and using the new ones for my home stereo - so I don't think it was a waste to upgrade to the new ones for me.

18. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

19. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

John,

I've thought about using plastic sleeves. However, I just put the discs in jewel cases and keep the digipaks in a box for reference.

Jantzen,

Thanks for the review. I don't have the last Atlantic remasters, but I have a few of the early Atlantic CDs. I will have to compare them to the new Sony remasters.

All,

Some other reviews of the new AC/DC remasters have appeared on Steve Hoffman's web site. Check out the music board on www.stevehoffman.tv .

20. Jantzen

Not related to the new CD's but Angus and Malcolm joined the Rolling Stones on stage last night in Sydney...

Check out a not so great pic here

Oh - yes that's Angus with the short, gray hair [​IMG]

edit:

There's a video up of it up now at acdc-videos.com