accoustics question based on my room

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rob Michaw, Jan 22, 2002.

1. Rob Michaw

Rob Michaw Stunt Coordinator

Based on this image -
    [​IMG]
    Accoustics are good in the room in general. I have accoustic tiles in the ceiling, a thick berber carpet and a thick underpad, and a sofa and a chair.
    When listening to MONO recordings from the front speakers only, the sound appears as if it is coming from left of center (from the sofa position). Upon moving forward from the sofa, the sound becomes anchored in the middle.
    I have a sneaking suspicion [​IMG] that the chair has something to do with it...and perhaps the box behind the sofa. Forgetting the obvious solution (move the chair), what suggestions does anyone have to get the sound more focussed to the middle of the two main speakers? I can move the chair and it sounds more centered, but I can't move the chair... My wife didn't want it...and I did. Now that I pushed for the chair, it stays.
    Any suggestions? It isn't horrible...just slightly off center.
    Thanks.

2. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

Are the speakers toed in a little or are they aimed straight out? ("Toe in" means to aim the speakers in toward the listening position.) If they aren't toed in then you should really try repositioning them. How much to toe them in really depends on the speakers, so you should experiment with what sounds best to you. Some people like to make the sound from each intersect in front of the "sweet spot," some like to intersect the sound at the sweet spot, others like the sound intersecting behind the sweet spot. So play around with that a little and see if it makes a difference.

Also, is there a wall to the right of the room or is it open? The picture doesn't indicate the location of walls and doors.

3. RichardJS

RichardJS Extra

I have a set up quite similar to yours, except no chair, and a large opening on the left side from just in front of the speakers to the middle of the chair. When adjusting the sound levels, I found that the right front speaker was louder than the left. To temporarily correct this, I placed a large rectangular frame against the wall on the right side half way between the speakers and the couch and covered it with a heavy cloth (old curtain). The purpose of this was to reduce the reflected sound from the right speaker to the couch. This equalized the sound levels from the left and right front speakers.

This is a long way of suggesting that you balance the absorption of sound on the two sides. I hope to replace my temporary absorber with a permanent absorption panel mounted to the wall in the future

4. Rob Michaw

Rob Michaw Stunt Coordinator

Bill -

All walled in, except at the very back of the room. The back is a stairwell leading up stairs. Before this current setup with new TV etc, I had the speakers more toed in than now. It gave me a slightly tighter focus, but I also lost out on the wider sweet spot. I ended up going for the wider sweet spot...but maybe I should try to move them again.

Richard -

I was thinking something about absoption, but not exactly sure what to do. The room is not a "live" room...cannot hear an echo when clapping my hands in a quiet room. Depending on the throw of the speakers, the walls on either side of the speakers could be problematic, because I have movie posters behind glass on the walls.

5. RichardJS

RichardJS Extra

Maybe you need to convince your wife to let you put an other chair on the other side [​IMG] . Seriously, I am not an expert and only solved my problem through trial and error. All I can suggest is find something soft that should absorb and diffuse the sound and then move it around to see if it improves your situation. If it does, then you can see if you can integrate the solution into your room.
    Good luck
    Richard

6. BruceD

BruceD Screenwriter

Just a thought, but the equipment rack could be causing more reflective sound to reach your ears from the left than from the right speaker.

This might be difficult to test for, if you have some kind of fluffy sleepeing bag you could throw over the rack for a few minutes while you listen, that might work.

If it is you could think about moving the rack to the back of the room.