Accoustically transparent PJ screens

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Jean-Baptiste, Apr 18, 2005.

1. Jean-Baptiste

Jean-Baptiste Auditioning

I am in the planning stages of my media room and was wondering if anyone had tried an accoustically transparent PJ screen with the front speakers mounted behind it. Are there any problems with doing something like this? Are any of the Da-Lite products appropriate?

Thanks in advance.

2. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

That's what they are designed for, and they can work great. Be wary of how close you are to the screen, you don't want to see the holes, and if you are *really* picky about the audio there will always be a slight effect on the speakers behind the screen so take that into account. The perfs can also cause some moire effects with fixed-pixel projectors, you may need to just play with the zoom to eliminate that if you see those effects.

many companies make perforated screen for such things

3. Jean-Baptiste

Thanks for the info. The room will be about 14' x 20', so I don't think I'll be too close. You refered to it as perforated screen; is that the standard term for this type of screen?

Thanks again.

4. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Yes it is.

5. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

yeah, it's just a screen with a lotta little holes in it. Go to any regular movie theater and that's what they'll be using 95% of the time, walk up and take a peek. Any good HT shop/design place will have examples too, and screen companies can also send samples.

6. Jean-Baptiste

Sounds good. Are there any brands of screen that are better than others? My media room has no windows, so I have 100% control over the lighting. At this point I'm thinking of using a BenQ PE7800, but by the time I'm done with the prep work (probably towards the end of the summer) I might be able to justify a true HDTV DLP projector if I can get one for under $2000.

Thanks again.