Accoustic treatment of a HT

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by marion.r, Dec 15, 2003.

1. marion.r

marion.r Extra

Coud someone give me advice as to where to look for accoustic treatment for a HT that will be retrofitted in a house?

Thanks

2. Shawn Keeler

Shawn Keeler Stunt Coordinator

3. marion.r

marion.r Extra

Thank you for the advise. This does help to a degree. I know that there is a difference between absorption and diffusion. I know there is a difference is absorption of a sound wave that is long (bass) and short (tweeter)... I just don't know when to use each.

I have one theater bedroom in which I know I have good absorption. I am not sure if base is absorbed adequately or not...but the sound is really good.

I am setting up a HT and want the sound to be premier. I am not quite sure how to set up the proper absorption and diffusion, knowing there is different absorption wavelengths.

Thanks again for the help.

4. Terry Montlick

Terry Montlick Stunt Coordinator

Hi Marion,

Home theater acoustics is a complicated subject. It is the domain of professional acousticians like myself.

Top quality home theaters need a lot of absorption. So do commercial surround-sound movie theaters. The principle is the same for both. The movie soundtrack contains all the acoustics "built in" when it is mixed. Any extra sound reverberation or echo in the theater distorts the sound.

Often, a one inch thickness of fiberglass absorber will be needed on most or all of the wall surfaces. Commercial movie theaters typically use 1 1/2 inches.

Like HT equipment, you can spend a lot or a little on acoustical treatment. You get what you pay for.

Regards,
    Terry

5. marion.r

marion.r Extra

Terry,

Thanks for the information. This is what I thought. I have an HT in my bedroom, and it seems the more acoustic treatment I do...the better it sounds.

In this room, I have some B&W 800's and 805 surrounds (HTM1 center). The BIG difference happened when I put new curtains on the one window...and a double French-door. I then realized what I had been missing...or hearing too much as the case is...

I then started padding the doors with acoustic fiberglass covered in a black velvet like material...tufted... Sound improved.

Now, I am adding these panels just about everywhere.

The sound has become much better...still I seem to notice...in explosion scenes that the explosion continues to happen. This tellls me that I don't yet have bass control. So, my thought was to add bass traps under the bed, under the furniture in the room and any place I can.

I am now at a point when I don't know what is too much and what is enough.

I am about to build an HT, and I would like to do things correctly from the beginning.

Thanks again.