Acclaim shuts down their offices...

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by David Galindo, Aug 27, 2004.

1. David Galindo

David Galindo Screenwriter

Well, it looks like Acclaim has finally reached rock bottom. Again.

http://xbox.ign.com/articles/542/542712p1.html

Looks like bankruptcy will kick in at any moment. (EDIT: Looks like it did.)

Its really sad to see a company like this suffer, especially since they've been around so long. Juiced and Showdown: Legends of Wrestling looked really promising.

Hopefully those titles will still be in development. I hope the company gets back on solid ground, unlike 3DO (who liquidated all of their games to other companies).

Can't say I'm surprised about all this, with some of the crapola Acclaim threw over the last few years. Sigh...

2. DaveB

DaveB Stunt Coordinator

That a game developer/publisher as horrible as Acclaim has survived this long is utterly astonishing.

I consider Acclaim to be among worst videogame companies of all time. After 15-20 odd years of existence all they have to show is a handful of slightly above average titles (which can be numbered on one hand) and a catalog of hundreds of absolutely atrocious "games."

Wait, I just found a link with a good explaination for the quality (or lack thereof) of Acclaim's output.

Toastyfrog 2d

Disclaimer:
    I do feel sorry for any of you Acclaim employees who will lose jobs if it does actually go under. If you need to look for new work, I only ask that you please look in a different industry.

David

3. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Damn does this mean no more Turok or Extreme-G? [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

Ouch. That is a scathing article.

5. Rob Speicher

Rob Speicher Supporting Actor

I always thought they sucked too. They won't be missed.

6. David Galindo

David Galindo Screenwriter

7. Eugene Esterly

Eugene Esterly Supporting Actor

It doesn't surprise me that Acclaim is dead. They do have some good games but most of their games are crap & they also used company profits for these stupid publicity stunts.

I'm not sad to see them go but it sucks that 600 employees have lost their jobs & they won't get paid for it & they also lose their benefits but I bet ya that the heads of Acclaim will get severance pay while the employees get nothing.