What's new

Acclaim dropping support for Gamecube (1 Viewer)

David Lee

Stunt Coordinator
FACT- Sony is developing a potentially far superior product that has the potential to severely damage that revenue stream

FACT- I could potentially be the next president. Michael Jordan could potentially be the messiah. You could potentially own Universal Studios. The Red Sox could potentially win the World Series. This could potentially be my last post because this bickering is potentially pointless.

Damien

Supporting Actor
FACT- All of the above equals trouble for Nintendo. If both their console and handheld streams are severely compromised, they WILL go out of business or be
as of today, gba and gc sales combined are knocking on 50 millions door. Nintendo is debt-free which means they as a company are actually better off right now than Sony is. And yes Microsoft is by far the richest as a whole, they are losing money like candy on xbox right now...which is fine for them right now, but it might not look so good to the execs if xbox 2 does the same thing.[

Mike__D

Supporting Actor
Who made analog controllers a standard. Who made rumble capable controllers standard. Who made 4 controller ports a standard. Who invented the frickin d-pad.
Solid proof Nintendo is a pioneer in this field in which others copy. Just like Apple is a pioneer in GUI's, others copy.

Mike D.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
The Atari 5200 and the Vectrex had analog control over a decade before the N64. :)

The Atari 5200 had four ports.

PCs had real force-feedback available before the N64 (which has fake 'rumble' feedback like other consoles).

Nintendo is now 'following', not 'pioneering', with disc-based consoles, and (poorly supported) internet gaming.

This field is full of copying. Nintendo is not more innovative than their competitors and predecessors in the industry.

Want wireless?

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
FACT- Many third parties are ceasing production of original GameBoy titles because they cannot make money on them.
Go ahead and backup those statements.
Go check the charts. What are the big selling original GBA titles that don't have a well known licence/franchise attached to them? Or aren't ports?

Here's a link to the current top 20 GBA games in the UK. There's one title in there that's not a port or got a big licence attached to it - Wario Ware.

As for making money on 'em... I'll have to dig up a link, but budgets on GBA titles are /very/ tight - you have to have a big big hit to generate enough revenue to cover costs, and generally the only games on the platform with big big sales are licences or ports of well known titles...

The one big exception to all this is Nintendo of course - their original titles /do/ sell well on the platform.

Mike__D

Supporting Actor
The Atari 5200 and the Vectrex had analog control over a decade before the N64.
The Atari 5200 had four ports.
You are correct... but you have to agree over the last few generations of consoles, Nintendo has been the most copied. From NES's original D-Pads controllers, SNES's controllers with shoulder buttons, N64's Rumbling (the first for a console) and Analog stick built onto the controller (not a joystick) along with a D-Pad.

How about on the software front, transforming a great 2D sidescoller platform that was the Mario series, to 3D? How many Mario clones are there now?

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
How about on the software front, transforming a great 2D sidescoller platform that was the Mario series, to 3D?
I was playing 'Floating Runner' and 'Jumping Flash' 3d platformers on the PSX before Mario 64 came out.

Regardless, there are examples of Nintendo innovating, and examples of them copying. Likewise for Sony, Sega, Atari, et al. That's not an insult.

Mike__D

Supporting Actor
< waves white flag > :)

Didn't have a Saturn, so I did not realize they had an analog pad.

Were the 3D platformers before Mario 64 as open ended and did they have great control and a camera that could be adjusted?

I just remember how the press praised Mario 64 for it's innovative gameplay and how it was revolutionary for it's time. I guess I don't have enough info... oh well, I tried :)

David Lee

Stunt Coordinator
FACTS- According to Game Japan, in March 2003, of the top ten units sold in Japan, seven were GBA games including Mega Man Zero 2 and Castlevania: AOS, both third party titles. Only recently, the Xbox has started to outsell the PS1 and the ahem,Wonderswan in Japan. I also said Nintendo made them the STANDARD, as in every console today is using it. That's hardly kicking and screaming when it comes to technology. If you want pioneering disc based consoles, I seem to remember a Famicom disc drive in the late 80's. Also, Nintendo was online in Japan with the Super Famicom,well before now. Also the week of March 30, of this year the GBA SP outsold even the PS2, according to Famitsu.

Game Boy Advance SP (131,929)
PlayStation 2 (79,648)
Game Boy Advance (26,011)
GameCube (16,074)
Xbox (2577)
PS one (2164)
SwanCrystal (1535)
Wonder Swan Color (781)
Game Boy Color (406)

I also find it amusing that when Microsoft loses money on something, it's good R&D and testing for the future but Nintendo keeps making money and everyone acts like the roof is on fire and they should go back to making cards. Also, Nintendo was running tests for a 3d Mario using the fx chip before Jumping Flash [Great game btw]. Miyamoto himself said
when asked about when work on Mario 64 began he said ' Actually we started working on an experimental Super Mario 64 system almost five years ago based on the fx chip'. This was in the February 1996 issue of Next Generation magazine [Issue 14 to be exact].

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
We all know why XBox is failing in Japan. Because they were stupid fools. "Oh We've studied that Japanese market in detail" and they go in and make every single error I spelled out 12 months in advance. They have no clue how to market in Japan whatsoever, and still don't.

Solid proof Nintendo is a pioneer in this field in which others copy. Just like Apple is a pioneer in GUI's, others copy.
Hate to tell you, Xerox developed it and Apple LICENSED it.

David Lee

Stunt Coordinator
. indeed they were the first to standardize, but their "mushroom" snapped off after the least use, and the entire N64 controller was an ergonomic nightmare.

The mushroom snapped off on YOUR N64 controller, even though you've never owned one.

I don't like wireless controllers. I really could care less. the balance on them is all off for me.

Explain the balance issue. Again, Have YOU owned a Wavebird and used it day in and day out, no.

JayV

Supporting Actor
I also find it amusing that when Microsoft loses money on something, it's good R&D and testing for the future but Nintendo keeps making money and everyone acts like the roof is on fire and they should go back to making cards.
Minor quibble, but as far as I know, I was the only one to make the comment about the relevance Xbox's monetary losses -- and I don't know that anyone agrees. My point was that cursory balance sheet comparisons are apples to oranges.

Regardless, I certainly didn't say (or think) that Nintendo should go back to making cards!

-j

EdR

Second Unit
Hate to tell you, Xerox developed it and Apple LICENSED it.
Dude, slow down and read. 'Pioneer' is not equivalent to 'inventor', no matter what you think of Apple or Nintendo, they are both pioneers. What exactly did Xerox make with their GUI, where did they take it beyond the mouse in a concept lab? The original statement was correct.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I can't wait to see GameCube2's controller and how they managed to make the D-Pad even LESS useable than GC. Why does it matter if they invented the DPad if their mission in life seems to be to eliminate its use as a control interface?
Spoken like someone who doesn't own a GameCube. The D-pad (like the Z Button) are not supposed to be used in games, they're supposed to be there for extra things, like menu navigation or quick commands (like how the D-pad is used in Rogue Leader). The joystick was the main focus of MANY N64 games, which is why it's the main focus of the GameCube controller.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Because Sega did such a better job in Japan with the Dreamcast, right?
Yes. Much better.

Compared to the XBox, the DC was a stellar success in Japan. Compared to the PS2, it was mediocre. The problem with the Dreamcast was that Sega had bled so much over the 32X and the Saturn (especially in the US, and somewhat in Europe) that nothing other than an unqualified smash success would doom their hardware business; and that's what happened.

The DC remains popular enough in Japan that special runs of accessories have been made, and new ports of PS2 games have been announced as recently as the last two weeks.

There is no comparison between the XBox in Japan and the DC in Japan. Microsoft has blown it big time so far.

None of which negates the fact that Nintendo's business is contracting and by the time online gaming hits 'the big time', Sony and MS will likely have a lock on that market segment.

Despite Microsoft's failure in Japan, they sell more units there than the charts reveal. Many XBox fans there buy imports, so they can exploit the larger variety and earlier release dates in the USA. But they are still basically irrelevant.

Mike__D

Supporting Actor
Xerox took it pretty damned far (GUI, mouse, ethernet PCs, page description language, WYSIWYG, etc). They were really ahead of their time.
Yes they did, but wasn't that technology to be used for the LISA, which then evolved into the MAC? (My appologizes if my history is off) Xerox invented it, Apple pioneered it, MS copied it :D

Users who are viewing this thread