What's new

Accidently punctured woofer...is it a problem? (1 Viewer)

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I bought a pair of Infinity Beta 50s from Circuit City a couple of weeks ago. Tonight, I made the dumb mistake of accidently puncturing one of the woofers. I did it as I pulled off the speaker grill and one of the pieces that holds the grill into the cabinet hit the woofer.

Will this affect performance? I could still exchange it for another.

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member

Physical damage isn't covered by the return policy.

Speakers cannot funtion properly if their cones are damaged. The "air" they move isn't what it is supposed to.

Contact Infinity about a repair.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Dave,

Since the warranty is voided anyway, just remove the woofer and do repair (be sure and make a note of which color wire goes to which terminal). Press the punctured section back together from the backside as best as you can, then apply a little silicone to both sides. That will seal the hole and any any possible leakage. I'm confident you won't be able to hear the difference.

Peter's suggestion is also good - I'm sure Infinity can sell you a replacement woofer.

Regards,
Wayne

Benihana

Stunt Coordinator
just get a replacement driver from infinity. I'm willing to bet that the driver isn't expensive, less than $50 for a replacement.

James Edward

Supporting Actor

You have to... If you're anything like the the rest of us, you will develop x-ray eyes and see that puncture mark every time you look at the speaker grill.

And it will just get larger over time. :D

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
I'd go for the replacement. Just where on the woofer did you punch a hole?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks