What's new

ACCIDENTAL TOURIST DVD (1 Viewer)

Has anyone heard anything about The Accidental Tourist finally coming to DVD? Perhaps in the recent WB chats? I know there have been threads on this title in the past, but it is my all-time favorite, so I just thought I'd check to see if there is any information out there. WB generally seems to release many catalogue titles, so I am baffled as to why this great picture is not available.

Thank you for any information you can provide.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I don't think anyone asked about it in the recent Warner chat. I'd certainly buy a copy. My old widescreen LD looks pretty weak by the standard of today's video software. But it's the best available version of the film.

I don't know how much interest there'd be in a new version. Outside of hardcore fans, you don't hear much about this film these days. If it were made today, it would probably have to be released through one of the "independent" divisions.

M.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
I've been waiting for this one too.

A great (and very under appreciated) film.

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
As an avowed fan of both the novel and the movie, let my chime in that I would also love to have this one in my collection!

Link Removed

This is my #1 all time favorite, and in my opinion one of the greatest pictures of all time. It's nice to see others are out there who agree.

What baffles me most is that companies will release certain moronic films numerous times in various special editions, and yet Accidental Tourist has never been released even once on dvd!!!

Real Name
DELETED ACCOUNT
Put my wife and I on the list of people waiting for this on DVD.

We both read the book for the first time a couple of years ago and thoroughly enjoyed the story. Actually we listened to it on an unabridged audio book during a long car ride. It reads like it would make a great movie, and neither of us have seen it yet. You think I would run into it sometime on cable, but no luck.

Hopefully it will be considered for release soon.

Robert_eb

Supporting Actor
I also own the laserdisc and the picture quality on it is very poor. I'm suprised no one mentioned this title at the WB chat.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
What baffles me most is that companies will release certain moronic films numerous times in various special editions, and yet Accidental Tourist has never been released even once on dvd!!!
Nothing baffling about it. If I were to start a new thread about, say, Terminator 2, it would get more views within 3 hours than this thread has received in 3 days. That's a fair sampling of the market for a character-driven film about adults among today's DVD-buying population. The studios know this even better than we do.

M.

I saw the following on DVDFile a little while ago, and thought people might be interested, as there have been several threads about this long-awaited disc, which just happens to be my favorite movie of all time.

"Just in from Warner Home Video are the full specs for their upcoming Valentine's Day promotion, a collection of three modern romantic favorites. Due for release on January 20th, the lineup includes Lawrence Kasdan's The Accidental Tourist, which features an introduction by Kasdan, a new scene-specific commentary by Oscar winner Geena Davis, the "It's Like Life" featurette and lifted scenes."

Ben Silva

Stunt Coordinator
"Prichett!" Geena Davis rocks. SHe deservedly won the Oscar for her hilarious performance as Muriel Pritchett

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Looking forward to this. It really is one of my top favorite films and I never get tired of seeing it. I'm not sure exactly what makes it so good but apart from great performances and a great script, the film is full of so many subtleties and character insights. I also find myself identifying very much with William Hurt's character. There's also John Williams' wonderful score.

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
A terrific novel by Anne Tyler which translated into a terrific film by Lawrence Kasdan. I can't wait to pick this one up!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
linda19798888
Recent bookmarks