Accessing the service menu on an old Toshiba ProJ

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Scott_lb, Mar 6, 2006.

1. Scott_lb

Scott_lb Supporting Actor

I own an older model Toshiba TW40F80 (40" widescreen CRT projector - standard def) and the convergence is way off on the far right side of the screen (especially the lower right corner). While I realize that most service menu alterations are better suited for a professional, I purchased this older TV used from a friend for $100.00 and don't mind attempting to fix it by myself (unless I'm in WAY over my head). I've searched on the internet for ways to access the menu and cannot seem to find the appropriate method. Can anyone tell me where I could find a resource which would explain how to access the service menu?

I apologize ahead of time if this is against forum rules to post a message like this - it's my understanding that we are allowed to do so as I seem to recall seeing similar posts in the past.

2. Scott_lb

Sorry for the last post. After a little more digging I was able to find some service manuals online and was able to totally correct the problem. The picture now looks absolutely incredible! It was also interesting to see how far off the convergence actually was on the other portions of the screen the previously looked fine as well. Again, sorry if that sort of post isn't allowed.

3. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

No problem with this kind of question AFAIK (I'm no moderator, but shouldn't be an issue).

You might also want to dig into the set (aware of the riskst) and clean the lenses, focus, etc etc if needed to help things, and also electronic focus if necessary. Enjoy!

4. Scott_lb

Thanks Chris. What really helped me was the ability to turn off the green "gun" while adjusting the red and blue. It was so much easier to do it this way because you can see things so much more clearly. After adjusting the convergence at ALL points, I am amazed by how fantastic the picture looks. While I realize that ISF calibration involves doing much more than this, I can now truly see why people encourage it as much as they do. Now, I'm just hoping that this set will last a few years longer until I can afford a Sony 1080p HDTV.