What's new

Access Sony DVD Player Service Menu (1 Viewer)

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
I know this was posted in the past, but can anyone tell me how to access the service menu on a Sony DVP-NC865V changer. I want to check the laser alignment on the DVD pickup and it appears that all of the older codes require the player to be in 'standby mode' to access the service menu. Newer Sony players do not appear to have standby mode (just player on/off.) Thanks for any information!

Gary

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor
I know that it used to be title, clear, power. My friend still has the first Sony DVD changer and there is not Hard power on-off. Just do it from the Off position and see if it works.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Thanks, Jeremy. I tried that sequence several time last night but it does not work. Also, there is no 'Title' button on the new remote. It does have a 'Subtitle' button which I tried, but that didn't work, either.

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor
How can there not be a title button? How do you access other titles on the discs when you are within one? I thought this was the norm on all DVD remotes, perhaps they changed it to top menu like Pioneer did? If so, try that.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Jeremy, the remote has a 'top menu' button which I also tried, but no luck with that either. I am guessing there is a different code sequence for the newer models, or that Sony removed the service menu function altogether (which I doubt.) Also, this is a SACD changer, so that may have something to do with it?

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
For setup/diagnostics mode the sequence is TopMenu -> Clear -> Power in order from standby (standby just means you turned it off from the remote). You will , however , find that there is no drive alignment setting listed. I haven't actually seen one of these since they no longer are field serviceable when in warranty anymore (exchange only). This machine may or may not actually be built by Sony (it could be an outsourced product). I won't know until they are all over a year old and someone wants local service.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Thank you, Steve. Do I press and hold all three buttons or press each one in sequence? Also, do I press Power from the remote or the main unit? Thanks again for the help!

Gary

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Steve, thanks! It worked. This model does appear to have a drive alignment setting. There is an auto and manual setting. There are also some other settings and diagnostic tests. I ran the auto align for single layer discs since that is the kind that I am having trouble playing. Although it seemed to (quickly) go through the alignment process, I still have problems with some single layer discs. I guess I will have to call Sony. Thanks again for the code!

Gary

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks