Acceptable limits for wordplay

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Perry, Feb 21, 2002.

1. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

The cover of this week's Newsweek features Michelle Kwan and asks in bold letters, "Can Michelle Kick Ice?" Since kicking "ice" has absolutely no meaning that I'm aware of, I guess it really says "Can Michelle kick ass?"

I'm certainly not offended by the play on words, but I was reminded of a Cheers episode in which Sam originally was supposed to say to Rebecca "I'd like to thank your brains out." Even though the words themselves are completely innocent, the real meaning was obvious and the censors would not let it air.

Can you think of any other substitution phrases that pushed the limits?

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Nice post!

I was once reading a magazine article about glass-blowing. Of course, the coverline read "A Touch of Glass."

I love a good pun, and I also love a good double-entendre.

3. Tom Johnson

Tom Johnson Stunt Coordinator

You want word play? Three words, Bond, James Bond. "What is Bond doing?" "I believe he is attempting re-entry." (Moonraker)

4. David Lawson

David Lawson Screenwriter

David Lawson
    I remember seeing a racing game ad years ago encouraging players to kick some asphalt.

I'm not sure many substitution phrases would be pushing the limits these days, although I did get a kick out of the French Connection U.K. shirts that got some media attention a few months back. There's just something about women walking around in T-shirts that say FCUK on them...

5. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So

6. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer