What's new

Acceptable limits for wordplay (1 Viewer)

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
The cover of this week's Newsweek features Michelle Kwan and asks in bold letters, "Can Michelle Kick Ice?" Since kicking "ice" has absolutely no meaning that I'm aware of, I guess it really says "Can Michelle kick ass?"

I'm certainly not offended by the play on words, but I was reminded of a Cheers episode in which Sam originally was supposed to say to Rebecca "I'd like to thank your brains out." Even though the words themselves are completely innocent, the real meaning was obvious and the censors would not let it air.

Can you think of any other substitution phrases that pushed the limits?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Nice post!

I was once reading a magazine article about glass-blowing. Of course, the coverline read "A Touch of Glass."

I love a good pun, and I also love a good double-entendre.

Tom Johnson

Stunt Coordinator
You want word play? Three words, Bond, James Bond. "What is Bond doing?" "I believe he is attempting re-entry." (Moonraker)

David Lawson

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Lawson
I remember seeing a racing game ad years ago encouraging players to kick some asphalt.

I'm not sure many substitution phrases would be pushing the limits these days, although I did get a kick out of the French Connection U.K. shirts that got some media attention a few months back. There's just something about women walking around in T-shirts that say FCUK on them...

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
There's just something about women walking around in T-shirts that say FCUK on them...
:laugh: i saw a TV show about that somehwere and how it was banned from certain places... French Connection United Kingdom... :p)

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
the coverline read "A Touch of Glass."
Jack, I'm sure the above headline was a play on "A Touch of Class", not what your dirty mind is thinking :D
Redd Foxx had a sit-com a few years back, in which he was criticized for the use of this phrase: MotherFather. Innocent sounding at first, but pretty MotherFathering risque for prime time.
Jon

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks