Academy "Trims the Fat"

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mitty, Jul 7, 2002.

1. Mitty

Mitty Supporting Actor

Discovered this link at Rotten Tomatoes.
    From E! Online. (Warning: pop-ups)
    Evidently, in an effort to trim the broadcast down, they'll be attempting to limit the number of honorary Oscars awarded.
    To me, this is wrongheaded. To people who actually like movies, the honorary awards are some of the more memorable moments, not to mention some of the most deserved statuettes to get handed out each year.
    Rhetorical Question Alert: Was I was naive to assume that the Oscars were about movies?
    I'd personally like them to eliminate the "best original song" award completely and, by extension, the tedious performance of the nominees. This award hasn't been relevant for over 30 years, since the movie musical faded into relative oblivion. They should have axed it the same way they stopped handing out separate awards for B&W and colour cinematography.
    But, I guess pop stars make for better TV ratings than a bunch of "crusty geezers" that most of the audience has never heard of. [​IMG]

2. Guy_K

Guy_K Second Unit

You're right. The Oscars, like most other shows is about ratings, and they assume that more people would tune in to watch a musical performance than an honorary award.

3. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    They could always trim the short, animated short, documentary and documentary short categories.

It's not that I'm opposed to giving these guys the credit they deserve, it's just that there is never an opportuinty to view these films.

Now, if ABC wanted to have a special the night before the telecast and compile all of the short subjects together, than I'd change my mind. But, since they won't it's just a bunch of random names and titles that mean very little to the large global audience.

I'd also be in favor of cutting the song category. Songs in films today have very little to do with the film, and more to do with the marketing of the film. Usually they're just punched in there to sell soundtracks.

And honestly, just ONE special award is enough per year. It just makes the honor that much more special.

4. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

I'm not sure I understand the need to trim it down. Yes, it's long, but it's once a year and by now, we expect it to be long. The thing is, people enjoy the show, and can afford to go into work a little tired the next day.

Of course, if they really want to trim the fat, they can do it by cutting the most completely unnecessary part of the show, the one thing that takes up the most time and is frequently the most excruciating: The host.

5. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    Lets see how long this thread can last before someone comes in and starts trashing the Oscars.[​IMG]
    For the record, I agree with Mitty.[​IMG]

6. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

Want to "trim the fat"? How about "trimming" the musical numbers, which are trashed year after year after year and never show signs of improvement?
    The honorary awards are some of my favorite moments of the show.
    PS-- While we're on the subject of trimming, how about "trimming" Whoopi's presence? Won't make the show shorter, but it WILL make it funnier [​IMG]

7. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    Friggin Oscars I hate em!!
    Just kidding, I have a love/hate relationship with Oscar, this years snoozefest falls into the 'hate' category.
    When I read the header 'Trims the fat' I thought the Academy might be boycotting overweight people from winning any awards, but nooo it had to be honorororary Oscars, I say just trim the Oscar acceptance speeches to just 5 seconds, that would be enough for a "thanks everyone" or "suckers!!".
    Or have some sort of trap door open underneath them when their acceptance speech goes on for a bit, would make for far more enjoyable viewing seeing Tom Hanks disappear from sight just when he pulls out a big wad of papers to read out.
    THIS POST VOTED LEAST HELPFUL

8. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

I'd go for a Cool McCool type of thing myself... Host pushes button, winner is ejected through ceiling [​IMG]

9. Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma Producer

Lou Sytsma
    Mitty - good call. I agree with you.[​IMG]

10. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

They need to incorporate the Gong Show Hook and use it when the winners go over a minute in their acceptance speeches.

11. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

12. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

How about taking a clue from Wheel of Fortune. You remember how everyone used to pick RSTLNE and the rest? Now they just give them up for free.

So, as a winner goes up, the voice over can go - "And Julia Roberts last won for Erin Brokovich. She would like to thank God, her agent, her husband..."

I'm only half kidding.

13. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    I agree that they do not need to reduce the actual awards, after all that's what the show is about in the first place. They need to get rid of all the other superfluous crap as Seth said above. We don't need six different tribute montages, musical production numbers, dance numbers, and unfunny jokes from Bruce Vilanch.

If they get rid of this extra fluff, then focus on the actual awards themselves, the show would be much tighter.

Perhaps even get rid of the host altogether. Just have the announcer (a real announcer, not celebrities like Glenn Close and Donald Sutherland) introduce the presenters.

14. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

The last time I watched the Oscar show, I vaguely remember them having people dance to the theme music from the films nominated for Best Pictures. Are they still doing that? If so, there's an easy way to chop off 10 minutes. Did anyone enjoy seeing ballet dancing to Schindler's List?

15. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Cut the song and dance numbers, cut the "non-year-specific" montages and tributes. Let the winners talk a little longer (those are most often the best moments), and give out only one honorary Oscar/year.

/Mike

16. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

I think there is room for a host. Crystal is well-received and got his nights started right. Carson was obviously a good host. That part can be done right and without dragging the show.

I would allow for one tribute plus honoring those who passed away during the year. No skits except perhaps a few minutes at the beginning. I would remove the opening monologue of one liners, if not for time reasons then because they often suck and play pretty awkward.

I wonder if they also sell more commercial time during the awards than is normally sold. I'm sure someone here knows.

17. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Exactly. The monologue is unnecessary. Just get down to business. Half the time they're not at all entertaining or relevant and haven't been since at least before Bob Hope and probably not even then.

18. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

I want the show to be as long as possible. It seems they are mainly afraid of people tuning out on the East Coast because of how late it is there when the show goes overtime. The best solution would be to move up the start of the show an hour or half an hour. It is aired on Sundays now, so there wouldn't be a problem with people not being home from work in time or something.

~T

19. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

Seth, next to the Super Bowl, the Oscars are the biggest commercial seller.

~T

20. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

Don't worry, I'm not going to trash anything (I didn't think I was before..) however if they need to trim any fat I would suggest dropping the (to me) cringe inducing musical "tributes" to, Comedy(Make-em laugh! Make-em Laugh), Action..etc. etc. that they seem to start the show off with. I know many love these "Broadway" numbers, however they are wanting to cut some time out of the show and these do take up quite a bit of time & don't really have a thing to do with the awards, except to add a bit of panache to the night's proceedings.
    This probably won't be a popular idea for a time-cut for some people.