What's new

Academy Creates New Category For Oscars (1 Viewer)

MikeAW

Second Unit
What passes for animated these days, as opposed to Walt's day, is something quite different and NOT for children but for adults with the necessary cultural baggage to enjoy story nuances. It's merely an illusion that this will expand the genre in terms of aesthetic quality. It's going to require studios turn out a certain number of releases, that in the long run, will simply trivialize it as an entertainment vehicle, as well as an art form.

That a category is "created" for it, means we are going to be exposed to a minimum releases each year...FOREVER...

that are no longer special treats, but a cottage industry interested in turning out Product to fill the marketplace.

And each release will reflect this, dulling us from enjoyment, and turning the Consumer into a machine that must consume mindlessly just because there is product out there.

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
Hmmmm...I cannot say that I agree that quality will automatically go down as the number of animated titles goes up. I would think that the percentage of good animated movies would remain the same. Right now, there are not many full length animanted features, and I agree that they are a treat and are usually quite good. However, there has been poor animated shows in the past as well.

The very fact that there is a new catagory in the Academy of Motion Pictures does not necessarily mean that more and more feature animated shows are created, as they are more expensive to create and, generally, take longer to produce. Either way, I think that the features from Pixar and Disney will still continue to be entertaining and be an inspiration for the other movie companies attempting to enter the market.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks