Academy Awards Snubs

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Bryan Ri, Feb 23, 2004.

1. Bryan Ri

Bryan Ri Screenwriter

Bryan
    I have two acting performances that I think the Oscar's completely overlooked in their respective years.

1. Val Kilmer's Dov Holiday from Tombstone: Anyone who's seen the movie will never forget that performance, period.

2. Leslie Nielson's Frank Drebin in the Naked Gun: A goofy movie yes, but give the guy credit, he's stiff as a board and still made you laugh like hell.

Any movies or people get snubbed that you can think of?

Bryan

2. Ernest Rister

Ernest Rister Producer

Billy Barty, Willow

(how in the world do you follow someone advocating an acting Oscar for Leslie Nielsen?)

3. ZacharyTait

ZacharyTait Cinematographer

Guy Pearce in Memento. I'm not sure what order they shot this movie in, but it couldn't have been in the order that the movie is in. That alone makes his performance even more impressive.

Naomi Watts and Laura Harring in Mulholland Drive. I was amazed by Laura's performance as a amnesiac trying to find out who she is. Naomi Watts, however, blew her out of the water. Watch the scene where she rehearses the scene with Rita and then does it again with the old guy in the office. The difference between the two shows just how much of a range Naomi has. There must be something in the water in Austrailia. Nicole, Naomi, Heath, Mel, Hugh, Russell, Guy,....what's next?

4. Ernest Rister

Ernest Rister Producer

"Guy Pearce in Memento. I'm not sure what order they shot this movie in, but it couldn't have been in the order that the movie is in. That alone makes his performance even more impressive."

Most movies are shot out of sequence. Par for the course.

Paul Giamatti just got shafted for American Splendor.

5. ZacharyTait

ZacharyTait Cinematographer

While it would have been nice for Paul to get recognized, I knew he really didn't have a chance. Of the five that were nominated, I would really only swap out Jude Law and put in Russell Crowe for M&C:FSOTW.

I know that 99.9% of movies are shot out of order. I remember reading somewhere that Ian McKellen on his first day of shooting did a scene from the begining of FOTR. The second day he shot the scene at the dock at the end of ROTK!

The only movie I can think of that was shot in order was E.T. Steven Spielberg did this so that the emotions at the end were geniune.

6. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

Running Time was shot in order. (Of course it was done in one shot, some say two!).

7. Ernest Rister

Ernest Rister Producer

Hoop Dreams was shot in order.

[​IMG]

8. Ernest Rister

Ernest Rister Producer

"While it would have been nice for Paul to get recognized, I knew he really didn't have a chance."

Me, neither. What with the largest voting block in the Academy being made up of actors, there is no way a great work of acting could be recognized by them.

[face_confused]

9. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

Pearce and Watts were both excellent recent efforts. Early on I was really thinking the LA Confidential "revenge" trifecta was going to be completed, and in the end I still think it should have been. I thought Pearce carried just the right mix of emotions and detachment due to his "condition". That's why the film grabbed me, because of the emotional issues his situation made him face and how well Pearce made me believe them.

I guess not everyone felt the same way, at least in the Academy. [​IMG]

And for the point of fairness, you should always point to the nominee you would remove to get yours in since you can't just have 6. I would have taken out Penn for I Am Sam and Dench for Iris. I like Iris (not love but like) but I thought Broadbent has 3 times the amount of work to do in this film. She, like Penn, is able to fall back on affectations for most of her scenes.

Watts try-out alone showed her range, as mentioned. If you thought she was typecast you certainly realized that she wasn't in that moment.

10. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Producer

One that stands out for me is the lack of even a nomination for Ian Holm's work in The Sweet Hereafter. The nominees that year weren't exactly chopped liver

Jack Nicholson - As Good As It Gets
    Robert Duvall - The Apostle
    Matt Damon - Good Will Hunting
    Peter Fonda - Ulee's Gold
    Dustin Hoffman - Wag the Dog

but I would have been comfortable with Ian Holm replacing anyone in this list of actors / performances.

- Walter.

11. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    Salacious Crumb - Return of the Jedi (1983)

Sam Jones - Flash Gordon (1980)

Chris Tucker - The Fifth Element (1997)

Robert Duvall - Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)

Jeff Goldblum - Death Wish (1974)

Laurence Olivier - Clash of the Titans (1981)

Tom Cruise - Legend (1985)

Sharon Stone - Allan Quatermain and the Lost City of Gold (1987)

12. Dennis Castro

Dennis Castro Second Unit

Robert Duval- Open range
    Scarlet Johanson- Lost in Translation
    Denzel Washington(a snub in that I think he should of won)-Malcom X
    Bruce Willis -12 Monkeys
    Adaptation

13. Robert Anthony

Robert Anthony Producer

I'll be the first to say it:

The biggest Oscar injustice I've witnessed in the past 5 years was Ellen Burstyn being passed over for Best Actress in "Requiem for a Dream" in order to award Julia Roberts for her by the numbers, bland, mediocre performance in "Erin Brockovich."

I couldn't believe it. It wasn't even close. It wasn't anywhere NEAR close.

I'm trying to avoid the obvious, but I also thought that Jill Bilcock's editing work on Moulin Rouge should have won the oscar over Black Hawk Down--just the "Tango de Roxanne" sequence itself was Oscar worthy.

I just read recently that Tim Robbins wasn't even nominated for Best Actor on Shawshank Redemption--is this true?

14. JonBoriss

JonBoriss Stunt Coordinator

Gene Hackman-The Royal Tenenbaums
    Bill Murray-Rushmore
    Scarlett Johansson-Lost in Translation
    Val Kimer-Tombstone
    Guy Pearce-Memento
    Naomi Watts-Mullholland Drive (hate the movie but she was amazing)
    Maggie Gylenhall-Secretary
    Paul Giamatti-American Splendor
    Billy Bob Thornton-The Man Who Wasn't There
    Sam Rockwell-Confessions of a Dangerous Mind
    George Clooney-O Brother Where Art Thou
    Peter Jackson-The Two Towers (Directing)

15. Bryan Ri

Bryan Ri Screenwriter

Bryan
    Speaking of the Shawshank Redemption, where was Morgan Freeman's win? Or for his work in Seven?

I agree with your Requim of a Dream snub for best actress, her performance definately had me disturbed.

I think the biggest snub of this years Oscar's hands down goes to Sean Astin.

Bryan

16. Bryan Ri

Bryan Ri Screenwriter

Bryan
    Jon,

I'd go as far to say that Bill Murray's performance in Rushmore was even better than Lost in Translation; just my opinion.

Bryan

17. Brent Bridgeman

Brent Bridgeman Second Unit

Brent Bridgeman
    Well, I can't say I'd replace anyone, or call it a snub, but I would have liked to have seen Andy Serkis get nominated for Supporting Actor. Would probably have been too controversial anyway due to the computer animation, but I think his performance was the most compelling to me in the entire trilogy. I felt a lot of empathy towards Smeagol and I think a lot of it had to do with Serkis, moreso than the computers. Like I said, though, I'm not sure I'd want any of the other actors to be removed. Well, maybe Alec Baldwin, but just because he's a Baldwin (I haven't seen "The Cooler").

18. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

There are two Oscar snubs that were so bad I gave up my care for the show:

Do the Right Thing (as much as I dislike some of Spike Lee's efforts, Do The Right Thing deserved to be acknowledged)

Hoop Dreams. The fact that this film couldn't even get a DOCUMENTARY nod, when it was, IMHO, one of the best films of the year, let alone one of the best films of the decade was such a sad statement about the academy that I still always think of Letterman's line "there are a couple basketball players in the parking lot.." One of the greatest injustices I have ever witnessed in any award show.

19. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

I think Murray was 10 times more impressive in Rushmore. It's too bad he didn't get a stronger push for that role than he is getting for LiT. I suspect that his Rushmore work set up people to accept his work in LiT however, so in some ways his Rushmore reward is coming now as a boost for his current run.

20. Robert Anthony

Robert Anthony Producer

Chris, those are two GREAT picks. Hoop Dreams especially..although I consider Do the Right Thing as one of my top 5 movies of all time--I didn't really expect that to win an Oscar. Especially not up against Driving Miss Daisy.

I guess that's why I didn't consider it a snub--because I saw it coming about 5 miles away. it was expected, to me.