Academy Awards new category - Best Animated Feature

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Terry H, Dec 13, 2001.

1. Terry H

Terry H Second Unit

From Fox news:
    The Academy on Wednesday announced nine films eligible for nomination: Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within, Marco Polo: Return to Xanadu, Monsters, Inc., The Prince of Light, Shrek, The Trumpet of the Swan, Waking Life, and the yet-to-be-released features Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius and Osmosis Jones.
    The list will be narrowed down to three films and announced with the rest of the Oscar nominations on Feb. 12, 2002.
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,40696,00.html

2. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

I hadn't heard of Marco Polo and The Prince of Light. I'm sure they have Osmosis Jones mixed up as the yet-to-be-released movie with either of those. I'm surprised Atlantis wasn't eligible.

~T

3. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden

4. Bill Buklis

Bill Buklis Supporting Actor

Bill Buklis
    I'm sure after Eisner reads that list, Disney will "convince" the Academy to include it. Either that or their saving Atlantis for other categories (doesn't make sense though) or they don't want it to split votes with Monters, Inc. since Atlantis likely won't have a chance in this category.

5. Matthew_S

Matthew_S Second Unit

Waking Life just won the NY Film Critics Circle award for best animated film. This would make it the Oscar front-runner for now...

6. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    Bill,

I believe you are right regarding Monster's Inc. and Atlantis. Disney doesn't want to split the votes, so they picked the newer (and admittedly, better) choice to run.

Take care,

Chuck

7. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

This thread needs to go over to Movies. I would post here but I'll betcha there is a thread in Movies on this topic already as well.

8. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

Well as it turns out no one has anything going on this in Movies after all.
    Obviously with so many feature-length animation films this year the Academy felt it had to do something. Especially because they probably saw Shrek and Waking Life with nowhere else to go for recognition.
    My guess on the 3 finalists are Shrek, Waking Life, and ...
    not sure, close between Monsters and Final Fantasy. I say Final Fantasy because I see the Academy wanting to recognize the achievement of CGI humans throughout a film, but don't see the film as deserving of merit otherwise. A nomination here gives them that.
    Osmosis Jones over Atlantis is pretty confusing.
    Now the question is this, will Attack of the Clones be eligible for this catagory next year. [​IMG]

9. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor