What's new

AC Overhaul (need serious suggestions) (1 Viewer)

Colton

Supporting Actor
Hi,

I'm located in Oklahoma City and my wife and I bought a two-story home (2,219 sq. ft.) with the second floor being the dedicated HT room. It's just one big loft area. Anyhow, the AC unit that came with the home is very old and needs to be updated to something more modern/energy efficient. Currently, the system resides in the closet in the garage and a outside unit. The house has floor vents, but the a/c doesn't properly chill the upstairs loft area. However, the loft does have a door to the attic so that a dedicated system can be installed for the main purpose of keeping our HT nice and cool.

So, in a nutshell, possibly talking about two a/c units that are very reliable/energy efficient and need suggestions on which brand to purchase.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

- Colton

Frank Zimkas

Supporting Actor
The only brand that I sell is Rheem. Before investing in 2 systems, get the manufacurers name, model and serial numbers to me and I'll find out the CFM rating. In many cases a new furnace will have a huge effect on the summertime comfort level due to the greater amount of airflow from the new equipment.

KenA

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ken Appell
I just got a Rudd system installed and I'm very happy with it. You're on the right track with 2 systems.

Check out HVAC Talk

Looks like a good source of info

Cary_H

Second Unit
Beep, beep, backup the truck.
What volume of air is the loft getting? Perhaps the ducting has been balanced where the majority of the air from the furnace is directed to the main floor. Is there adequate return from the loft area?
The unit may be old, undersized, adequate, not up to snuff, or otherwise, but I'd be looking elsewhere prior to springing for a 2nd unit.
If the current system is capable of delivering adequate air throughout the home, the current a/c unit might be sized correctly.
If you spring for a 2nd unit, how will you move the air from it? I wouldn't think you'll want it sitting where the noise from it will make an impact on your HT setup.
And what about heating the loft come winter? If you're not getting enough air to it now, it's not going to be any different then. And this 2nd unit still leaves you facing having to deal with the current unit sooner or later.
Look into seeing that the current system is up to moving adequate air throughout, then determine what is, or isn't in need of replacing/upgrading.

T r o y

Supporting Actor
I'm thinking of going with one of the Mitsubishi Split Ductless systems in my home theater room. The bonus room is located above the garage and I transformed it into a HT room last year. I bought the house new and did have the room ran for A/C 1/2 ton extra. My house is a two story slab and only got one unit for both the up and downstairs.
Since the ht room is above the garage, even though i have ac in the room, it still gets way too warm in there during this hot summer we are in!!! :frowning:((

I've looked at all kinds of a/c units and possible solutions to help cool my room down, but I've decided to go with one of those Split Ductless A/C systems made by Mitsubishi Electric HVAC. They are very reliable and very quiet. Just what I need for a HT room.
They are pricey but I feel worth the money.
Here's a website that shows them:http://www.mrslim.com

HOpe this helps!
Troy

T r o y

Supporting Actor
I'm considering having an HVAC company install one of the Mitsubishi Split ductless a/c units in my HT room. I turned my bonus room located above the garage into a dedicated HT room. It measures 17x20 with straight walls measuring 8 feet high. Even though there are two a/c vents going into the room, it still maintains a very warm feeling in the room which is very uncomfortable watching a movie.

I've had many solutions suggested to me in trying to cool the room but none of them interest me. I have decided to go with the Mitsi split system. They are quiet, reliable, and very efficient. I was fortunate enough to go to my local Mitsubishi HVAC dealer and have a demo done so I could see for myself how well made these units are.

If anyone here has one in their room, please explain how you like it and would you have gone a different route?

Here's a link to the units I'm talking about:
http://www.mrslim.com

Hope I get some good response back!
Regards,
Troy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks