AC line conditioners... do they REALLY help?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Christopher Chung, Aug 21, 2001.

1. Christopher Chung

Christopher Chung Stunt Coordinator

I was browsing around at some cool looking Monster Power AC line conditioners. And they claim to eliminate line noise, phone lines, etc, etc.
    Now the question is whether these bad boys make a real impact, or are they mearly just for peace of mind?
    If they make a difference in A/V signals, I'd consider shelling out the cash to get one, maybe not "Monster" but some type of AC Conditioner.
    Chris

2. Brian_J

Brian_J Second Unit

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/042611.html
    ------------------
    Zed's Dead Baby...

3. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

my first thought is that you should consider putting your HT system on its own line. then find out whether your electrical power is noisy. in most cases the answer is no. but you're right, they are cool looking...kinda just makes you want to open your wallet and read off the plastic numbers. seriously...you need to find out if there are issues of noise in your power. as far as nominal voltage swings, modern electronics are well capable of handling those with grace.

4. Chris_Blanton

Chris_Blanton Auditioning

Aaaaah, Monster. Their products are pretty, yes... but all that glitters certainly is not gold. Sadly, Monster specializes in marketing their products instead of actually spending their capital on research and development. The end result: The sharpest, most well polished pieces of crap that money can buy.
    Man I know this is harsh, but the truth hurts. Noone at BB or CC will EVER say this to you, because they are in business to MAKE MONEY. Therefore they will never badmouth a product they carry. Makes sense, don't it? I made the mistake of outfitting my entire system with Monster cable and regret it terribly. AR cables are half the price and just as good. Bettercable are atleast twice as good, half-again the price.
    But back to the subject of power conditioners. They DO actually work, I can attest to this firsthand! Only problem is, a select few really good ones actually do what they advertise. Just like all the ludicrous claims on the back of Monster cable boxes, their power conditioners are nice looking pieces of junk. If you're serious about it, then go and check out the guy who started the idea of power conditioners. He doesn't advertise, but prefers to spend his money making better products. How un-American!! haha, just kidding.
    www.Ticeaudio.com
    I do not work for Tice, but I would definitely buy from them again. They cleaned up the hiss in the background of my music and expanded the soundstage noticeably. Take the advise of the gentleman who recommended the dedicated power line, and give Tice a look. You won't be disappointed with them.

5. Christopher Chung

Christopher Chung Stunt Coordinator

6. Bryant Trew

Bryant Trew Second Unit

The guy making Monster's conditioners was poached from MIT. He used to make their Z conditioner, or something like that. In any case, I have the second highest conditioner from Monster, and it did clean up my line significantly. I heard a difference in my sound and saw an improvement in my RPTV picture quality. Could it be all in my mind? Sure, but that goes for just about every product.

7. Brian_J

Brian_J Second Unit

8. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

9. JasonZ

JasonZ Agent

iam a firm believer that line conditioners work in certain circumstances.
    i live in a 50 year old building where the electric is horrible. the line conditioner made a big difference

10. Gene Severn

Gene Severn Stunt Coordinator

I've used a Monster HTS2000, and now a Monster HTS2500 and both have made a noticible improvement in audio and video quality. Having separate filter stages is a smart idea. However, it all depends on the power quality in your area. If you have clean power (doubtful in any geographical area) you will not see any improvement.

11. David Proud

David Proud Stunt Coordinator

How can one test for clean power? Like is there a test I can do to see if my power is clean in my house?

12. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

13. Steve Schick

Steve Schick Stunt Coordinator

As far as Monster power products...
    I can't vouch for the claims that it A GREAT improvement.
    I bought an HTS5000 as an upgrade for a Panamax 500DBS and can't notice a substantial improvement above that.
    However, for my HT, I have a dedicated 20amp circuit for power to the PLC that is tied into a leg in the panel that has nothing on it but circuits for my HT. Everything else in the house is on another phase and most of the large appliances are in another panel altogether.
    (yes, I am lucky to have 2 200 amp panels, each containing 2 phases)
    But the main reason I bought the HTS5000 is for the convenience and looks. Yes, that's correct, I like the looks of the Monster. Convenience as far a more outlets was the other aspect of my needs or wants.
    Regardless, I'm sure that the HTS5000 still does something for the power. I certainly hope it won't hurt the power!
    Sure, other brands such as Tice, VansEvers, et all, might be better than Monster, but at what cost? I can't see spending upwards of $2000 for something I will be using for a $1200 receiver, $400 DVD player or $300 CD player.
    If I had higher end electronics then yes, I could see doing this, as such equipment could/would benefit from it.
    If it is true that Richard Marsh helped develop the Monster power line, then I would hope that Monster Inc. didn't waste his time, effort, and salary for designing a "polished piece of crap"?
    Just my opinion, YMMV
    ------------------
    You liked the movie? ......Try it on a nine foot screen.
    My DVD Profiler Collection