AC/HEAT not working Grrr!

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Jason Walstrom, Jan 3, 2005.

1. Jason Walstrom

Jason Walstrom Supporting Actor

Ok last night here in Texas it was warm so i had the AC on most of the night. I woke up freezing and turned it off. Today around noon it got real muggy outside and I turned on the AC again. I noticed shortly after that it wasn't cold air just air. I stuck my head outside and noticed that the outside unit was not on or making any noise. the insdie part was on making noise blowing air. What could be the problem. I checked and made sure it's not frozen up and it's not the breaker. My house is about 21 years old and i've never had work done on the ac unit just cleaned professionaly but not for at least a year and a half.

2. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

The a/c unit outside should have a fuse -- it could be blown. There should be an electrical box next to the unit that contains the fuse.

3. Paul Bond

Paul Bond Stunt Coordinator

I'm not an A/C guy, but I live next to one in Irving. If you can't find one closer to you that you feel comfortable with, send me a note or add another response to this topic and I'll see about getting you his phone number.

We had something similar happen a couple of months ago. It was the thermostat in our case.

A/C in January. Ain't Texas great? Hee hee.

Bond. Paul Bond.

4. Jason Walstrom

Thanks for the offer Paul. But I already had someone come out today and you'll never believe what it was. He pulled off the side panel outside and the inside of the unit was filled with a colony of ANTS! at least 2 ft high of dirt. from the side it looked like an ant farm with tunnels and catacombs. The AC guy
    told me it's actually common in texas the ants try to find a place away from the elements.

There were ants that had gathered and died around the contact plate and it could no longer get any electricity. He replaced it with a new contact plate that is sealed and used a hose to wash the colony away, i've never seen so much larvae before it was quite gross and disturbing lol.

5. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    Man, you're lucky. Most everyone I know has had to replace the entire thing after about a decade of use. Maybe they just have to work harder down here in Houston. [​IMG]

6. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

Be lucky the ants didn't all get blown into your house overnight. [​IMG]

SHIVER!

7. Jason Walstrom

Last night it froze over, and right now it's 26 degrees, i noticed that the AC guy used my water hose to clean the unit. It had a winter cover on it before. But he left the hose hooked up to it and i went to unhook it to cover it up and just turned the faucet on to make sure it works and it's frozen over. Is it gonna burst? or will it thaw out ok?

Should I not worry about this? It will get above freezing this afternoon.

8. Paul Bond

Hi Jason.

You shouldn't be in any trouble with your outside faucet. I don't believe it stayed cold long enough to get a real good freeze on. Oh the other hand, if you see a river of water on your street as you drive home tonight, you might consider starting to get a bit worried.

My wife and I bought our house 4 years ago, and at 49 years old it was my first grownup non-apartment abode. I am STILL learning things about home maintenance. The best thing I have learned so far is to have relatives who know how to do these things and are willing to do them for you.

Bond. Paul Bond.

9. Jason Walstrom

hehe I agree. Although when my Father in-law gets involved ugh. Should I cover it now or wait till it warms up again?

10. Paul Bond

I'd go ahead and cover it up at your earliest convenience. We aren't going to have any more freezing for at least several days, but it is best to do it while you are thinking about it.

Don't cover it up too well, though. You night need it to wash the car this weekend. Ah, Texas.

What part of Arlington are you in, by the way? We are just off 183 & O'Connor. Some day we DFW folks need to do an HTF get-together. However, I'm afraid my house won't work. I don't really have a very good setup and Jake the Psycho Dog hates strangers.

Bond. Paul Bond.