AC/DC Stiff Upper Lip Live

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Scarpa, Dec 4, 2001.

1. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    Definately an impulse buy when I spotted it on sale today. My collection is truely lacking Live Concerts. I have the excellent peter Frampton but Needed more. this is a pretty nice Disc. It's Anamorphic Widescreen rougly 1.85:1 includes both a Dolby Digital 5.1 and a DTS 5.1 Track! The DTS is really impressive with a wide soundstage. The Dolby Digital isn't a slouch but you don't get the same enveloping feel. The disk has a good mix of bot old and new tracks. The video isn't bad, there a bit of compression here and there but it's worlds above their other release "No Bull" which was shot on 16mm and looks it.

Recommended for all AC/DC Fans.

2. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

I'd get this disc soley because its AC/DC. But of course, I actually saw them live on this tour, so I'll have to wait and see everybody else's review. Does anybody know if there's going to be an AC/DC videos DVD? I know they should have at least ten videos.

3. SteveRS

SteveRS Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Dave, I will give this a try!

4. RickardL

RickardL Second Unit

It's a pity that it is only the title track from the latest

record that is included along with their old hits.

Regarding the sound, I thought it was almost too much like

a studio recording. That can be good or bad depending on

what you want but the sound of the VHS 'Live in Donnington

92' gives a far better live feeling.

Oh, a nice touch is that the lyrics are available as

subtitles.

5. Robert G

Robert G Stunt Coordinator

Great news. I'm a huge fan and was very dissapointed in No Bull. I'll definately be picking this up.

6. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    My thoughts exactly at first I thought are these guys lip syncing? They are'nt I just think they produce a Live sound that is very close to their Studio recordings. And in this day and age of groups that can never reproduce their studio works because they are oversampled and produced, I think it's refreshing to see a group that actually sound good live.

7. Robert G

After seing them 5 times I can say that they do sound very much the same in concert as they do on their albums (err CD's).

8. KrisM

KrisM Second Unit

I'd love to see the Let There Be Rock and Live titles released ASAP. I bought No Bull since I'm a HUGE fan but I was disappointed. There was nothing wrong with the disc but it just didn't make much of an impression on me. I've watched it twice since I bought it. I'll check out the new one though.

KrisM

9. Jantzen

Jantzen Stunt Coordinator

Just finished watching this and have to say it's a much better DVD than the No Bull DVD...

The audio is really good - yes there are better sounding concert DVD's out there but this one is no slouch...

The concert itself was great of course - nice setlist - though as said before more songs from the new album would have been nice, for me anyway... Though I saw them on this tour and knew what to expect. Except they played 2 off the new one when I saw them. It was way too strange to see them play after FTATR - never thought I'd see that - it was cool though.

The video quality is excellent 95% of the time - way better than I could have ever imagined - in fact this is one of the best looking concert DVD's I've seen... It's no Toy Story but as far as concert DVD's go this thing looks awesome - like I said 95% of the time... And it's anamorphic to boot!

The other 5% of the time it looks God-awful... whenever they cut to the overhead crane camera the picture goes from excellent to VHS quality. It's a shame because it was really distracting. The whole show I was hoping it would stop - but it never did... Still over-all it's a great looking disc.

The extra is some behind the scenes and interview footage inter-mixed with concert footage. It runs about 10 mins and 1/2 of that time is spent showing concert footage - which I could have done without... The nice thing is that the extra footage was also anamorphic which is rare these days. The fact that Mal said "I hope that you think this DVD is shit hot!" made it worthwhile though!

All and all a great concert DVD - if you are a fan go get it now. It's a huge step up in quality from the No Bull DVD.

10. Shawn Sefranek

Shawn Sefranek Second Unit

I will be buying this DVD on Friday with one of my Best Buy 10% coupons. (If they stock it)

I’m a BIG BIG AC/DC fan.

I saw them several times in the 80’s and their last two visits to Philadelphia in 2000 & 2001.

I’ve already warned the wife that I will be “airing out” the system when I get this DVD.

Angus Young cranking out the tunes on my twin SVS’s…it’s gonna be good.

Shawn S

11. Robert G

I just had to thank Dave for starting this thread and getting me off of my butt. I went and picked this up and watched it Saturday night. The wife (who is not near the AC/DC fan that I am)and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Both 5.1 mixes are very nice and the DTS version is definately the winner on my system. The video is very good as well.[​IMG]

12. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    Yeah the DTS just sounded so much more expansive and alive, so to speak. This is a very good Concert video, there's a few songs I Wished they'd played like "Girls Got Rhythm", "Have a Drink on Me" and Maybe my all time fav "Given the Dog a Bone", BUT OVERALL IT WAS A GOOD SELECTION PLUS HEY IT'S a Two Hour and Twenty minute Show, no slouch in the time dept

13. Andrew W

Andrew W Supporting Actor

Wow! This DVD ROCKS!!!!!!
    If you're quibbling about the video quality, then you need to turn it UP!!! It starts to really sound good at about 100dB. [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Seriously, this is a great concert DVD and the DTS track sounds awsome. It looks like this was shot on HD (they had 16:9 monitors all over the place) and the grainy crane shots were probably due to lack of light.