ac-3 rf demod boards

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by EdD, Feb 7, 2002.

1. EdD

EdD Agent

Has anyone ever used one of these boards? Most of them I've found look like the one made by Sample Rate Systems so I assume they are just reselling. They run about $100 which is about as much as I want to spend. What I'd like to do is buy the board and put it in a chassis with a p/s and in/out RCA jacks. Is this feasable? Does anyone know what kind of power it needs? How well does it work? What is the best price and where? Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

EdD

2. James Mudler

James Mudler Stunt Coordinator

3. Phu Vo

Phu Vo Stunt Coordinator

Ed, I doubt if that product still exists. And if it did, I don't think Sample Rate Systems will sell it for retail use. Looks to be an IC for manufacturers.

I just sold one on Ebay. I could have sold it to your since we live in the same city. Arrrgggghh.

4. EdD

EdD Agent

James,

Thanks. I did find the precisionlaserdisc site but they aren't responding to emails.

Phu,

I should have posted this earlier! Do you have any more info about them? Are they any good? Thanks. I'll have to keep looking I guess.

EdD

5. Phu Vo

Phu Vo Stunt Coordinator

Let me get this right first. Your player has RF AC3 output, right? If not, you have to modify your player and get an external RF Demodulator since most recievers today don't have a dedicated LD port with built in RF Demodulation. Modifying your player is the easy part, there is a website somewhere that shows which ones can and have been modified. I don't have that link anymore but I am sure it will turn up if you do a search. As for the RF demodulator, those babies are rare. Ebay is your best bet. Greg Loewen, one of the moderators, has a stash of these still I think, but I think he is selling them for about $180.
    P.S. To my knowledge, those pages you see at Precisionlaserdisc.com are at least a year and a half old. I found them that long ago when I was looking for an RF demodulator. It seems, they haven't updated that page since and probably much before even that. I actually called them last year to see if they were still planning on releasing that RF demodulator board, but the guy that picked up the phone said that they stopped all that a long time ago. I think he said they sell satellite parts now.
    Some advice though if I may, the reason I bought my RF Demodulator was to watch Star Wars 1, 4, 5, and 6. The reason I sold it was I only needed it to watch Star Wars 1, 4, 5, and 6. So really, if you don't have a bunch of AC3 LDs, then it isn't worth it. Save your pennies and get a reciever with DPLII. That is what I did (Onkyo 595).
    ...............Unless of course, you are a fanatic about HT and LD [​IMG].