What's new

Absolutely Fabulous Series 5 in 4:3??? (1 Viewer)

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
I was going to resurrect an older thread of mine about this, but couldn't find it, so maybe it was obliterated with the Software forum split.

In any case my issue is I thought Series 5 of AbFab aired in 16:9 on the BBC? However, I just bought the boxed set of Series 5 (released today I believe) and when I got home I noticed on the back it is listed as having a 4:3 AR.

Is this a misprint and it's actually a 16:9 anamorphic release?? Or is it actually Pan & Scanned to 4:3, or is it a letterbox 4:3 transfer?

The last two would be horribly dissapointing considering the last series was an anamorphic 16:9 release, and if it's true that this has been mangled like the "Gay" special than I'm seriously considering taking the disc back before I open it.

I've looked on the packaging of the other series releases and they don't even list an aspect ratio as far as I can see, and most sources on the web have the AR's for Season 4 listed wrong anyway, so I'm not sure if I should believe what they say about Series 5.

I was just wondering if anyone knew what was up with this release before I rip the plastic open?

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
Thanks Steve, I forgot about dvdfile, didn't see one at Digital Bits, and dvdfile just didn't cross my mind (I don't read many reviews outside the forum after all :) ).

Looks like I know what's going to be preoccupying my night tonight!

RafaelB

Second Unit
Sean, I shared your pain as well, when I opened the DVD and looked at the discs themselves (which have 4:3 silkscreened on).

I had read the DVDFIle review and was now so paranoid and mad that I put it in my player first thing and, happily, saw that it was indeed 16:9. :D

The outtakes are hilarious, BTW.

Rafael.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks