Absolute Power (Clint Eastwood)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tim Glover, Feb 12, 2003.

1. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    I just got the Absolute Power laserdisc delivered today, and wanted to share my thoughts on the movie.

Absolute Power, 1997
    directed & produced by Clint Eastwood

Cast:
    Eastwood
    Gene Hackman
    Laura Tinney
    Ed Harris
    Scott Glenn

It did decent box office biz in 1997 topping out at about 50 million. I think this is one of Eastwood's best. The story is great and one of the rare times I agree with Ebert when he says,

" Clint Eastwood's ``Absolute Power'' is a tight, taut thriller with a twist: It's also about a father and daughter, estranged for years, who are finally able to become friends. Not many thrillers slow down to notice relationships, but this one does"

Ebert again, " But at the end what I remembered most was the relationship between father and daughter. By using this personal story as an arc to draw together the other elements in the film, Eastwood does a difficult thing: He makes a thriller that is not upstaged by its thrills. Luther Whitney is a genuinely interesting, complicated character--not just an action figure. What happens to him matters to us, and that's worth more than all the special effects in the world."

He gives too much away in the review so I will leave out any plot points here.

In case you missed it, give this movie a spin.

And for those who are into laserdisc:
    The picture quality is really good, especially clean on side 3 which is in the CAV format. The Dolby Digital audio is also stronger on the Laser compared to the dvd.

One more surprising note. During the end credits, listen to the beautiful song thats playing...I think it's called "Kate"...very beautiful...and composed by Clint Eastwood. [​IMG]

2. Aaron Reynolds

Aaron Reynolds Screenwriter

Aaron Reynolds
    I remember vividly just how gorgeous this film looked on a big screen, particularly one shot of Eastwood under an umbrella...the lighting was impeccable.

Go Jack Green!

I thought that overall the film was good, though it sort of strained credibility a couple of times. I smiled whenever Ed Harris showed up.

3. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    Yes there are a few scenes that are unsatisfying. The one moment that leaves me a bit underwhelmed is:

almost at the end when we learn that Richmond (hackman's character) took his own life...at the hands of Sullivan. Guess I wanted to see him squirm and wiggle since he was truly a "heartless whore" as Eastwood says.

But still a great movie.

4. Christopher P

Christopher P Supporting Actor

I remember seeing this on Valentine's Day, and I remember Siskel and Ebert arguing pretty heatedly over this one. I thought it was pretty solid, though I only saw it once. The movie is based on a James Baldacci book (correct?) and I've read a few of his other works. They generally stretch credibility a bit, though they are a pretty good read.

Chris