What's new

Absolute Phase and the effects of inversion (1 Viewer)

RobWil

Supporting Actor
OK......I did do a search on this and didn't really find much so I apologize if this is one of those subjects that keeps popping up that has already been beat to death.

I have found some interesting information recently regarding Absolute Phase, and the fact (or theory) that some recording labels are more prone than others to invert Absolute Phase during the recording process. In fact, someone has made a list of those labels that tend to and those that don't.
Some seem to profess that, as long as both channels are inverted, there is no audible difference. However others contend that there is an audible difference.
My external DAC happens to have a phase switch which can be set to 0 or 180, so for the sake of experimentation I have been playing with this and, lo and behold, certain recordings definitely do sound better set to 180.
Any opinions or comments?

RobWil

Supporting Actor

I am somehow taken back to when I was a kid and had the hiccups and my Uncle used to tell me to hold my breath for 10 minutes. :D
OK...if I do, do you promise to go out and buy all of them to verify my findings?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks