What's new

Absolute beginner needs some expert advice (1 Viewer)

Rob.R.S

Auditioning
You'll have to excuse me I'm brand new to ALL of this. Here's the deal: Just bought 57' Toshiba cinema ser., planning on buying Harman Kardon 520 (will someday need 2 zones), planning on buying Toshiba prog. scan dvd.,
NEED SPEAKERS,
Room size - 17'x24'- 17ft. ceilings. Room has wiring approx. 10 off the floor for 4 speakers, will need to be able to direct speakers down, Budget max $1500.00. Finally, I don't have a clue what a good speaker sounds like. All help is appreciated.

DanaA

Screenwriter
Rob,
Read this thread on Ascend speakers. They come with a very nice sub, the Hsu VTF-2 and definitely could meet your budget, although I'm not sure they come in white. The first post has a link that will take you to their site.
Click here

RandyKudor

Stunt Coordinator
Rob,

I own some ascends and couldn't be happier. Simply amazing with music and excellent for HT as well. I enquired if they were available in white (wanted a set for the bedroom). Unfortunately for me, they were not. Oh well. I have considered painting a pair though.

Best of luck!

Philip A

Agent
In your budget you could get some excellent speakers out of Canada--I bought and love some of the new Dahlquist line from Marc at the Ottawa Audio Shop (www.audioshop.on.ca/).
I had been searching seriously for months and could not find what I was after until I settled on Axioms (good reviews from professional and public forums). I called Marc was all ready to order when I thought I should ask him if there was something else I should consider. He then told me of the Dahlquists and how they were beating everything else in his showroom (in this price range; he sells Paradigm, Axiom, etc.) So I checked out the review posted there and gave them a shot (Qx10's for mains, QX60C center, QX6's for rear lr, and a QX4 for rear center, also an M&K sub; BTW that QX4 rocks for such a small driver--couldn't't believe the bass presence out of a 4"!!!).
Wow, is all I can say. Great bass, great presence, great highs and detail. Simply incredible for the money--my nephew with Klipsch was so impressed he's looking to unload his and get some Dahlquists! My room is 28" x 16" x 8" with the QX6's and QX4 ceiling mounted.
I would email Marc and have him call you. There are several others who have gone this route and they are all very happy. Type in "Dahlquist" in the Speakers/Subwoofers page search window here and see for yourself.
Since you want to mount them, consider the HTD mounting brackets. I've used them and am very happy (I did have to adjust the mount's holes about 1/8" each side to fit the Dahlquist's pre-drilled threads, but that was easy at a buddies shop with his drill press). http://www.htdaudio.com/walspeakbrac.html

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks