Absolute Bare Minimum to get online with PS2...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Holton, Aug 29, 2002.

1. Jeff Holton

Jeff Holton Stunt Coordinator

I just got Navy SEALs, and I would like to play online...

Let's say I do not have a computer, and I do not have internet access... what is the minimum I need to do to play online.

Obviously I need to get DSL service and the PS2 network adapter... but is that all. Do I have to have a PC/DSL modem, etc. In other words, in order to play PS2 online, do I already have to have a PC, DSL modem, and be connected to the internet, etc...

Can I get DSL service without having a PC to hook up a DSL modem, etc.

Sorry about the lack of knowledge... I'm just not very computer savy.

If anybody could give me a step-by-step on how to get online with PS2 from scratch with the bare minimum... that would be really great, and i would be eternally greatful.

Thanks

2. Rob Varto

Rob Varto Supporting Actor

Jeff,

Im assuming all you need is the DSL/Cable modem and the starter pack from Sony. I believe it comes with a startup disk that designates the ISP settings to your memory card. It should be as simple as that. You would not need a computer to get online with your PS2 - that Im sure of.

Here is what I think you do:

1) get DSL or Cable internet access
    2) rent a modem from them or get your own
    3) run the cable to the modem
    4) run CAT5 cable to your PS2 kit
    5) run the startup disk that came with the PS2 internet package
    6) Voila! You're in.

I should also mention that early feedback is saying that you don't have to have DSL or cable to get a solid connection for most games. In fact, 56k is working fine - except on games like SOCOM. But if you can afford DSL or Cable, go that route.

3. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

You need either cable or DSL service. Both will work as broadband.

I was helping my friend set up his cable modem to play games online. His had two ports: one for USB and one for ethernet. We found out (the hard way) that you can't have the modem connected to a computer (through USB) and to the PS2 (through ethernet) at the same time. If you get DSL, though, you can, so I would recommend getting DSL.

But what Rob said is pretty much all you need.

4. ChristopherS

ChristopherS Second Unit

5. Dave Bennett

Dave Bennett Screenwriter

Here's a question for you. In my dorm we have ethernet connctions to a T1(or maybe a T3). In any case, to use them you connect your pc, open a web browser, load a page, and it'll forward you to their auto reg system where you punch in your ID number and password. From then on it work fine. I assume it records your ethernet adapter address as it uses DHCP. So my question is, would I need a router to hook up my ps2 this way? I doubt our autoreg system will work with it and I can't see any other way of doing it. I do have a spare ethernet hub but I don't know if that would help me. At home, we have a similar situation but with a cable modem assigning IP addresses via DHCP(again no router). If I can go without a router, I may go online afterall. If not, It'll just be too much money for me.(50 for a router, 40 for NA, 60 for SOCOM, etc). Thanks for any info.

6. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

When I was in school they need the MAC address of our cards and would use that to identify us on the network. If thats the case you may have to give someone the MAC address of the router, then use the router to dish out IP addresses for your PC and PS2.

7. Dave Bennett

So in other words I would definitely need a router then? Sounds like I'm gonna pass at the online PS2 then, atleast for now.Too expensive [​IMG]

8. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

When we were setting up the PS2, there was a thing that allowed us to put in a user name and password that the internet connection would need, DHCP information, and stuff like that. I recommend getting the NA, trying to hook it up, and selling it if you can't.

9. Brett Hancock

Brett Hancock Supporting Actor

If you get dsl service it will most likely be PPPoE. I have this type to and Ill I had to do was plug my modem straight into my ps2 and during the isp setup tell it to automatically detect settings. It worked like a charm.

10. Dave Bennett

Perhaps I will see if I can find one. If it works, I'll keep it, and if not I can probably sell it for a tidy profit on Ebay [​IMG]

11. Chad Ellinger

Chad Ellinger Second Unit

Dave,

Your school's system sounds like University of Maryland's. Basically, the school enables DHCP to your ethernet card's MAC address. If you try to use a different MAC address, no go - you have to re-register. In other words, the PS2 NA won't work off the bat.

On the other hand, you can pick up 4-port routers for as cheap as $40-50. You can set it up to "spoof" your ethernet card's MAC address and not have to re-register at all. Just plug your computer and PS2 into the router and you'll be good to go.

12. Dave Bennett

Man I'm such a sucker. I went out today just to look around at Best Buy. I noticed they had one copy of SOCOM left. I picked it up and looked around some more. I stumbled upon the last network adapter. Grabbed it. Then I said screw it and got a router. PS2 online for me! I can't seem to get online with SOCOM though. It connects but it doesn't seem to find any games. The Madden demo worked fine though. My SOCOM user name is dfbennett when I can finally get it online. I'm really looking forward to Tribes myself though.

13. Dave Bennett

Is anyone's PS2 acting odd since installing the Network adapter? I can't seem to put mine into stand by mode anymore(holding down the reset button). It seems that the only way I can turn it off is to use the switch in the back. Any ideas?

14. Romier S

Romier S Producer

15. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

Just an FYI, the latest issue of EGM has a pretty good primer on networking and getting your PS2 or XBox online. It's done in a comic format, but is pretty informative. In fact is maps out exactly what I plan to do in the future, with hopefully a wireless setup. Anyway, here is a link which lists some products they recommend.
    http://www.gamers.com/feature/egmps2online/index.jsp