What's new

Above ceiling screen question (1 Viewer)

Malignancy

Auditioning
Real Name
Scott
I want to add an above-ceiling (recessed) screen. Would it be difficult to buy a ceiling mount screen and install in above the ceiling? Also, we have drywall ceilings in our theater room to be. How do you recommend cleaning up and finishing the cut in the drywall that allows the screen to lower from above the drywall? Thanks!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Da-Lite makes 21 different recessed ceiling screens that come with everything you need. http://www.da-lite.com/products/index.php?cID=32

FL-GATOR

Grip
Real Name
Don
In my experience, it depends on what kind of access you have to the screen area. I put mine in my attic, which made it easy to work on and to wire. I even made a 'ramp' where I put 2x4's across the joists and put plywood on top of that. This ran parallel to the area between the joists where the screen was mounted. This allowed me to go in and easily make a 'box' that the drywall attached to, as well as the hangers for the screen to hang from. My box was 9" square, so I needed at least that much room to work in. It wasn't a problem for me in the attic, but if you're installing something with a floor above you, space would be a concern.

Malignancy

Auditioning
Real Name
Scott
Thank you for the replies. I don't have a lot of money to spend on a really high end screen (the wife spent all our money at the design studio) which means I may have to go with a wall/ceiling mount and convert it to an above ceiling screen. Mine too will be hung from a floor joist. I guess I'll just get some angel iron to "float" the screen away from the joist? This really is foreign territory to me, not A/V in general but definitely the screen part. As for the trim, I've seen some $1,000 + screens with their own kits. They look really nice. I was wondering about a type of corner bead that can be mudded in if I mine doesn’t come with a kit. I don't want to go that route but if I get a cheaper wall/ ceiling mount a may need to. Any of you guys have pictures of how you installed your above ceiling (attic) screens?

Malignancy

Auditioning
Real Name
Scott
schan1269 said:
Da-Lite makes 21 different recessed ceiling screens that come with everything you need. http://www.da-lite.com/products/index.php?cID=32
WOW! WAY out of my price range, but thanks for the link. The projector lifts were pretty cool, too. I want to spend $600 or less for the screen. Maybe after we pay down the house a little I can splurge but for right now, I just need a hideaway screen.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
You aren't getting any "automation" for $600. So your going to hide your screen with a manual flip open access and pull it down?

Malignancy

Auditioning
Real Name
Scott
I've found some electric screens (smaller) for $500 and up online. I know they're not going to reproduce the best picture but I'm trying to stay within a budge. I'm also not concerned if the trim flips closed. I'd be happy with a clean finished opening, not un-like many modern HVAC vents like this one: (sorry for the huge hyperlink) (http://www.google.com/search?q=streamline+AC+vent&hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:en-us&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=TaAzUZu4F6LD2QXAzoDoDA&ved=0CAoQ_AUoAQ&biw=1326&bih=665#imgrc=Z32xVfKR2m__1M%3A%3Bnksm1UJI9_sMLM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.airconditioninginwa.com.au%252Fimages%252Ffrontend%252Flarge%252Flinear_diffuser.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fairconditioninginwa.com.au%252Fstandard-reverse-cycle%252F%3B500%3B362)

Malignancy

Auditioning
Real Name
Scott
This is what I envisioned seeing when looking up at the ceiling (minus the curved nature of the vent). I have seen trim kits that are about $200 but I'd rather spend that money on a better screen and not the trim.
url
Uploaded with ImageShack.us]

FL-GATOR

Grip
Real Name
Don
15966c18_screen.jpeg
Here's ours. We built a 2x4 box the size of the screen enclosure and placed it on the existing drywall. Then we screwed it in. Then we used a handful of 2x4s to connect it to surrounding joists. This was just a frame to support the drywall. Then we cut out the drywall to open the hole. The screen was hung using 3/8 threaded rods to the roof joists. We used door wedges to lock in the screen box to our frame box, and then once everything was aligned we caulked it in (in the attic). Then the whole deal was textured and painted. It's not invisible, but nobody looks at ceilings, I've found. Instead of standard drywall mud, I used silicon caulking to help dampen any vibrations and reduce cracking. I still have a little cracking, but nobody but me notices. Some day I'll re-spackle.

Malignancy

Auditioning
Real Name
Scott
Don, Thanks for the reply. Your install sounds much more labor intensive than I was planning on. I thought I'd just be able to screw the screen enclosure to the floor joists, cut a long hole and find a way to finish it off. I guess I'll just need to buy a screen and figure out what needs to be done for my set up. I appreciate your reply. Where exactly did you spackle? Where is the drywall cracking, around your opening I’m guessing?

FL-GATOR

Grip
Real Name
Don
The unit is actually designed with two doors, one of them is locked down. I'm guessing that if work needs to be done on the unit, you'd open the second door so there would be room do drop the screen and motor out (the motor is in the roller. That gives me an extra 'hinge.' I decided to texture and paint over the second hinge to make the unit as invisible as possible. The cracking is along this hinge. It's not bad and I'll spackle it some day.

Malignancy

Auditioning
Real Name
Scott
[color=rgb(34,34,34);font-family:Arial, 'sans-serif';font-size:7.5pt;][/color]
Bought this for $150.00 figured it was worth a gamble.
[color=rgb(34,34,34);font-family:Arial, 'sans-serif';]
[color=rgb(34,34,34);font-family:Arial, 'sans-serif';] [/color]

[/color]
Couldn't find a manufacturing date on it. Thoughts?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
That depends on what ratio...???

What screen material...?

What size?

But considering 16x9 new ones start at $800 for a 65" 16:9...

Malignancy

Auditioning
Real Name
Scott
schan1269 said:
That depends on what ratio...???

What screen material...?

What size?

But considering 16x9 new ones start at $800 for a 65" 16:9...
I think it's an older screen, came out of an office building so I don't think it's 16:9. Don't know what material it's made of either...It's white! The screen itself is 12' wide with an 8 foot drop.

Malignancy

Auditioning
Real Name
Scott
Malignancy said:
I think it's an older screen, came out of an office building so I don't think it's 16:9. Don't know what material it's made of either...It's white! The screen itself is 12' wide with an 8 foot drop.
Is there any way to date these? The housing is plastic with a simulated wood apperance.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks