About to take the plunge on Fluance...

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by TommyWMedford, Aug 6, 2003.

1. TommyWMedford

TommyWMedford Stunt Coordinator

Message deleted

2. TommyWMedford

Message deleted

3. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

Tommy, I just got my fluance AV-HTB up and running 2 nights ago - I haven't mounted the surrounds yet, but the towers and the center channel sound good. I've got a Sony WM20 sub hooked up with them (not a big room, and I'm not a high volume listener). They've gotten about 4 hours break-in and seem good to me so far. I'm not a real audiophile though, so, perhaps one of the other guys can comment. I listened to the JBL N24IIs @ Best Buy, and I would say that they sound comparable. Wait a little while, I'm sure some of the other Fluance owners will be coming out of the woodwork, there's just not a lot of us.

4. TommyWMedford

Thanks. I'm glad you like them. I hope to be ordering them in about 3 days, just as soon as the money from my previous purchase is put back on my card.

5. TommyWMedford

Ok, it's either the Fluance SX-HTB, or the Acoustic Research HC6. I simply cannot decide on either, though. My living room is fairly small, and I think the HC6 system might be better suited for it, plus it has the sub. But, I really do prefer floorstanders over satellites, and I'm hoping to purchase a new sub in the near future. I've heard nothing but praise for Fluance, and while the reviews for the HC6 were mostly positive, there were a few not-so-good ones to go with them. The Fluance speakers look like they can handle a lot more power the than the AR's, plus they accept banana plugs, and they're biwirable. It looks like I'd get more bang for the buck with the Fluance speakers. Both systems costs the same, only $300. Please, guys, what would be my best bet?

6. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

Tommy, I just got the surrounds mounted and everything up and running up to my Onkyo TX-SR601, and I am happy with the purchase. I did a lot of hunting for reviews on Fluance. I found only 1 person that wasn't happy with the purchase out of about 30 comments. I know you can't really depend on user reviews, though - users will tell you Bose is good [​IMG]

Here's the CNET review of the Fluance setup, Tommy - this tipped the balance for me. The Fluance AV-HTB was reviewed - the second one down. Read through their comments in the review. http://reviews.cnet.com/4502-6467_7-...tag=cnetfd.dir

Tommy, it comes down to taking a chance. If I had had the cash handy, I would have gotten the HC6 and the Fluance to compare side by side. I decided to chance it. Returning would be painful (you have to pay shipping), but I figured if I didn't like them, I could ebay them back off [​IMG]

7. TommyWMedford

Well, I went ahead and ordered the SX-HTB. If I don't like it, which I'm sure I will, I'll just remind myself that it was only $260. lol. I think I made a good, well informed decision. Thanks, Dave.

8. Ben_Ly

Ben_Ly Agent

You'll like it. So far I don't have any complaints from my fluances.

9. Jason Cajda

Jason Cajda Auditioning

I just bought the SX-HTB setup and their subwoofer. I have to tell everyone I am shocked at how nice these speakers look and are made. They came in four days to Chicago and where double boxed for safety. Have only been listening to them for about 4 hours but so far they sound great. If anyone is looking for a nice set of speakers and doesn't have a big budget like I had, you can't go wrong with these.

10. TommyWMedford

I'm getting more excited each day lol. I should get them by Wed. I'm glad you liked them. I wondering how they compare with Polk's R Series speakers, or even Infinity's Entra speakers. I've listened to both and they sound pretty good, and I'm hoping these Fluance's sound at least as good.

11. kevin tate

kevin tate Stunt Coordinator

Jason, Fluance has 2 different subs (10" &12"). Which sub did you purchased? And how does the sub sound w/movie & music? How big is your room?

12. Jason Cajda

Jason Cajda Auditioning

Kevin,
    When I bought the sub they didn't have the 12" only the 10".
    My room is small only 12 x 10 and I'm not a expert but I think the sub sounds great for both music and movies.

13. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

I got a Sony WM20 scratch n' dent to go with mine, and it is definitely the worst part of the setup. Maybe I can do an upgrade turn of the year. Interested in hearing comments on Fluance's sub.

14. George Caronan

George Caronan Stunt Coordinator

Hello everyone. I am glad that I am can peruse this site for similar owners. I also own Fluance speakers. I have the SV-10s for my mains, dual AV-SC centers and four AV-BP2s forming my sides/rears. Rounding out the set-up, I have dual Cambridge Tech subs. I have been quite satisfied with their performance from day one. The mains are bi-amped using two daisy chained Parasound HCA 1500As which are 205 watts per channel @ 8 ohms whereupon the rest are connected to a Parasound HCA 1206 which is 135 watts per channel at 8 ohms. At first, when I checked out the site I was skeptical as to how they would really sound since Fluance is not a "name" brand [i.e. Polk, JBL, Bose (ugh!), Infinity etc.] but at this point I can attest that the positive reviews that I have read on them do have merit. I am looking forward reading how their subs would rate. Cheers.