What's new

About to start my new project... does anyone have good ideas on unusual enclosures? (1 Viewer)

Javier_Huerta

Supporting Actor
Hello all, and Happy Holidays! :D

I'll start my new subwoofer project in January. So far, my older one met the dreaded WAF spot-on (a 214L Tempest). It wasn't too difficult, actually - I merely used laminate in the same color as the rest of the speakers, wall and floors.

This time, it'll be a bit more difficult. I want to build a 175L subwoofer based on a Cerwin-Vega! car driver. I already tested it on a sealed 80L box and really liked what I heard.

If everything goes well, I'll be building two of them - one for my HT, which uses very smallish black ProMonitor 80 speakers by Definitive Technology, and the other for my reading room, which has Energy C-1 bookshelf speakers. These have the light maple finish.

So far, one of the subs has to have a flat black finish (the ProMonitor one) and the other a light maple laminate. But I'd like to make them as insconpicuos and nice-looking as I can. So far, I have come up with a very slim, tower-like design. But I'd like to see other options... space is a premium, too (since the rooms are not huge).

Any help will be greatly appreciated :)

Javier.

Ches Campbell

Stunt Coordinator
Michael, do you have any more pics of that setup and any descriptions of the speakers and such? I have never seen anything like those, especially the center. VERY COOL. Are you going to finish them?

Anyway,
Javier, I think a very cool idea is to use an obelisk shape (like the washingto monument). I have seen a few done. Most that I have seen have been too wide or fat. If you made it tall and slinder, it would be very cool and look almost like artwork.
Just an idea.

Later

Rory Buszka

Supporting Actor
Actually, I think that the box-design (perhaps with a rear-exiting shelf vent) would be a good design for you to go with beause it would more easily match up with your existing speakers. For those car drivers, you could power them with the new amplifiers that Parts Express has. If you want them to match up with the box-shaped loudspeakers, I think it would be a bad idea to try and make really outrageously-shaped subwoofers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks