What's new

About to purchase Sony Alpha A6000 (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
gI_86621_Sony_A6000_Alpha_DigitalCamera_with_16_50mm_Lens.png

Have a Nikon D90 DSLR, that quite frankly, is a pain-in-the-ass
to travel with.

Don't use it as much for that very reason.

Been always looking for something smaller but just as effective.
On a recent outing with Sam Posten, he recommended the camera
he uses, the Sony Alpha A6000.

Been spending a few days reading every single review I could on this
small mirrorless wonder, and I'll be damned if not nearly every one cited
it as the best camera of its kind that can be bought with kit under $1,000.

The funny thing is, I am buying more camera than I need. I know nothing
about photography. I am probably going to keep it on autofocus the entire
time. However, I do know that I want DSLR quality photos, and it seems
that will be exactly what this camera will provide without the bulk or weight.

Would be interested in any opinions on this camera, particularly from anyone
that actually owns this baby.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
If $1000 vs $500 doesn't matter to you, buy it. If you want the "best" even if it's overkill, buy it. If you want the best possible shots of Big Vacations (within a $1000 budget), buy it. Otherwise, save $500 and buy a decent all-in-one super zoom.(I've got the Sony NEX 6, which I believe is a cousin to this camera. Great shots. Easy to use. But it never gets used, and its capabilities are beyond what I need generally. I wish I'd saved $500 and bought a super zoom instead.)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Dave, unfortunately, my Dad taught me that you get what you pay for.

I always aim for the best that I can buy within an affordable price range.

I am probably going overkill with this camera, but it does produce DSLRquality images and that is what I am aiming for.

Thank you for your input, as always.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
If gee-whiz is what you want in your camera...The SOD works well. That is a feature I'd use.I liken this camera to the same realism that exists for automotive jounalists. Modern cars(like the 911 and SVT Raptor) do things so well and composed...The fun is gone.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The A6000 looks like a nice camera. Don't you shoot a lot in low light? If so, you might consider the Panasonic LX7 or the Leica equivalent. I forget that model # but should be easy to find. It has excellent image quality but especially a very fast 1.4 lens with an similar zoom range as the standard lens for the Sony. It's also much smaller. It saves RAW files if you want that flexibility, which I find very important.Edit: the Leica is the D-LUX 6. Remember, 24MP means extremely large files, that you probably don't need.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Here's some discussions and quick comparisons between the two. http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3573231http://snapsort.com/compare/Panasonic-Lumix-DMC-LX7-vs-Sony-Alpha-NEX-6I looked at the Panasonic when shopping. I recall the NEX 6 was competitive in low light, but I don't remember the distinctions. However, the feel and usability of the NEX 6 was much better to me. From product shots, I think this would hold true for the A6000.That said, Panasonic and Olympus made good all-around cameras too. Choosing got into details of pricing, usability preference, interest in lens add-ons, etc.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

I think the problem is that I don't know much about cameras.

It's actually the fact that Sam makes this his second camera -- and that it is
the choice a professional photographer like himself made -- that is keeping me
glued to the 6000.

The only thing bothering me is that I am sticking with stock lenses -- that is, the
lens that comes with the camera and a $300 Sony E 55-210mm lens. Not sure if
I am defeating the potential of this wonderful camera with standard lenses.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Ron, my observation is that what you are thinking about getting is not significantly different from what you have and are unhappy with. Just somewhat smaller. Of course, if your only objection is the size of the outfit...

I'll just say this. The quality of the photos is far more the result of the person using the camera than the camera itself. You say you want quality photos. You'll do far more to achieve that by understanding photography than buying new cameras. Still, the Sony makes a more compact travel package, but your photos won't improve in the least. In other words, if you are unhappy with what your D90 produces, the Sony will give you exactly the same thing.

BTW, I was a professional photographer for 25 years, and the LX7 is my second camera. Of course, I'm not a working Pro anymore.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
John,

Completely understand...and thanks.

I never mentioned I was unhappy with the D90 other than its size and the fact
that it flakes out on me now and then. I am sending it to Nikon for repair.

Really, this is just a secondary camera for light pocket travel that takes same
quality photos as DSLR.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I echo John's recommendation for more photography training but this is a discussion Ron and I have had for many years.Thanks for the kind words Ron, I do take my photography seriously but using me as a role model might be a mistake, I'm very focused on a few things that work the way I want em too and am not sure that scales out to most consumers in general or your needs in particular. But given your excitement here are my recommendations:Buy the kit with the newer silent lens. It's really nice and doubles well for video if that's your thing. I've done a few vids with mine and they are not going to win an emmy but work for me.The 55-210 is the best bang for the buck lens on the small camera market IMO but it is going to add a lot of bulk to your travelling kit, not sure you will get much use out of it unless you are doing stadium sports or shooting from the back of a theater like I do.Straps: Blackrapid R strap and leave the bags at home. =) And/or one of these handmade straps which I use:http://www.amazon.com/BlackRapid-FastenR-3-Curved-Camera-Strap/dp/B00460RUR6/ref=sr_1_14?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1408368156&sr=1-14http://www.gordyscamerastraps.com/Re: using the info on the back of the camera to adjust on the fly and 'learn' photography that way. Ewww. =p Seriously tho yeah it can help you adjust a bit but you REALLY need to learn the inverse rule and how ISO/Aperture/Time interact with each other. EVERYTHING flows from that.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I used the flash on mine this weekend for the first time since buying it. Meh. For me tho if I am using flash on this camera something is wrong. We were in a banquet hall and wanted a group picture taken by a 3rd party holding my cam. Flash or nothing. Deer in headlights look for sure but it is what it is. Will post it later tonight if I can.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I was thinking the same thing Sam said regarding whether or not a camera he uses is the best choice.

In any case, the D90 is pretty old now, isn't it? Isn't that the same era as my semi-retired D200? Cameras have come a long way since then, so anything is likely to be a significant improvement, and if you can get better portability, all the better.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
This afternoon I placed an order...

Sony A6000 camera with 16-50mm kit lens
Sony 55-10mm lens
Lowepro Messenger 150 Shoulder Bag
BosStrap One Piece Sling Strap
Sony NG-FW50 Battery
Watson Compact Charger for Battery
SanDisk 32GB Extreme Plus Pro Class 10 Card

Ordered from B&H Photo. Once I tacked on the extra lens, they gave me a package savings of $100.

Should have all of this tomorrow.

Want to thank all of the HTF members who participated in this thread for their help.

In particular, Sam Posten, who got a lot of emails from me and took time out of his
day to call me at home earlier this afternoon.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I admit, that looks like a very nice camera. I have to wonder why it wouldn't replace your D90.

Sam, have you had any trouble keeping the sensor clean?

Ironically, I used to work for Minolta, which has evolved into the Sony photographic division.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Happy to help. I think you will be pretty happy with it. Definitely send that D90 in for a look too, could probably sell it off and make a few bucks back if its in good shape still.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Ron,

Enjoy the new camera. Sony is certainly a leader when it comes to mirrorless cameras, so you have a fine tool to work with. However, I will echo what John and Sam said earlier. If you want to get better quality photos, you need to invest some time in learning the craft of photography and developing your skills. Great photos come from what's behind the viewfinder, not the equipment. Learning the basics is not that difficult, and even those basics can really improve the quality of photos for a beginner. If you do nothing more than learn the exposure triangle that Sam mentioned (ISO, aperture, time) and a few basic ideas on composition, you'll be amazed at what you can do.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Congrats on the new camera. I'm pretty happy shooting with the Olympus XZ-1. It's nowhere near as large a sensor as the Sony, but the fast lens / limited variable aperture zoom is the primary reason I got it, and I haven't been disappointed. Plus, it's got a pretty awesome macro setting. I can only imagine what fast lens specs in combination with an APS-C sensor would do, but I'm satisfied enough to stick with what I've got for at least another year. A +1 to encourage learning some of the foundations of photography. Peterson's Understanding Exposure is one I (and many others) recommend to people. It's an easy read and it puts things into super understandable terms. Implementing at least one of his suggestions can make a huge difference in the quality of photographs you take.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks