About to pull trigger on Odyssey Stratos......any objections?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Salvador, Feb 7, 2003.

1. Salvador

Salvador Second Unit

First of all, specs of my current system

1 pair Paradigm Studio 20's
    SVS 20-39CS+ with Samson 1000
    Denon 3802
    HTPC setup with Audigy Platinum (i use optical)

* Audigy will soon be replaced by an M-Audio Revolution

It's upgrade time again. With my current setup, I have concluded that the logical upgrade that i would see the most sonic improvement is adding a two channel amp. I don't have the time nor resources to drive around and audition different kinds of amps. I've turned to forums such as this (and others of course) to help me in choosing the right amp for my Studio 20's. I spoke to Klaus (Odyssey amp main man) over the phone and he said that the synergy between my Paradigm's and the Stratos is excellent. My basis for trust is klaus is the almost 'cult' following of Odyssey over at Harmonic Discord and Audio Circle. I also consider Audioreview as something to add to his credibility but i treat some of the stuff written over there with skepticism.

Bottom line is i'm not quite satisfied with the 2-chanel performance of my current setup. There's no "wow factor" in my setup when it comes to midrange of highs. I'm expecting this amp to bring new life to my setup or in other words, an absolute transformation.

2. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Salvador,

I find that going into any upgrade stage wishing for that kind of improvement is self-defeating. If your expectations are too high, it's almost impossible for the Odyssey to meet them. If you go into the situation hoping to hear a subtle, but substantial improvement, you might be better off.

With that being said, I am very interested in the Odyssey Stratos HT3 for my upgrade to 7.1 so please post a review after you break the amp in (which I heard could be a significant amount of time for Odyssey amps...another reason not to judge the upgrade immediately)

3. Salvador

Salvador Second Unit

4. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Salvador,

My setup is....

Anthem AVM-20 Pre/Pro
    Anthem MCA-5 Power Amplifier
    Sony SCD-555ES SACD/CD player
    ACI Titan II LE Subwoofer
    Paradigm Studio Reference 40's, 20's and CC
    Sony DVD-330 (next component to be replaced)
    XBox

Looking at a bunch of amps in the move to 7.1 including Odyssey, Bryston, Anthem, and others.

Will probably get another pair of Studio 20's for the move to 7.1, but I may toy with the idea of getting a pair of ACI 25th anniversary Sapphires instead and perhaps converting over to that line of speakers if I like the sound.

5. Dave Simpson

Dave Simpson Second Unit

Hey Salvador,

How's it going, mate? I found a signifigant improvement (though it wasn't an "absolute transformation", to use your lingo; bass was clearly improved, and music took on a more effortless quality) when I added a Parasound HCA1000A (125x2) amp last year. I've since replaced it with a similarily powered Parasound 1205A, purchased used and privately from a local HTF memeber, and the two-channel sound is about the same (though this is what I expected; the five-channel amp is intended for HT in a larger room, once I get around to moving; the two-channel unit will be added for 7.1).
    From what I gather reading Odyssey's specs, the Stratos amps are a cut above the Parasound, so I'd say you're in for some fun. But I wonder how long it will be before you're keen on buying a new pre-amp, and replacing the Denon altogether? It will likely happen, my friend...
    As an aside, what's the sticker on the Odyssey amp? Not available in Canada, I assume? Crossing the border and converting to American dollars will likely double the price, I imagine.
    As always, Salvador, you're welcome to come over here and get a listen to an amp through a receiver as pre. Let me know if you're interested, and best of luck with the purchase, sir! Cheers!

DS.

6. Salvador

Salvador Second Unit

7. Dave Simpson

Dave Simpson Second Unit

8. Salvador

Salvador Second Unit

i emailed you, check your inbox

9. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer