What's new

About to order Quatro 15"/Amp (1 Viewer)

MikeGee

Second Unit
I got it working.

I fixed my ground loop problem with a cheater plug that i had in my room.
Once i hooked up the sub to the receiver it had no bass, but i raised the gain and voila.
I then reset my whole AVR and recalibrated using the MCACC and it seems to be working pretty well.
I'm just curious.. how much gain should i be at ordinarially...
Right now my gain is set at around... 3/4 and is 5.5+db on the receiver. I have the freq set at around 1/4 of the way.

I'm just curious tho.. when i put an audio cd into the dvd player it makes absolutly no bass whatsoever.. like the woofer doesnt even budge even if i put the frequency all the way up.

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
"I'm just curious.. how much gain should i be at ordinarially...
Right now my gain is set at around... 3/4 and is 5.5+db on the receiver. I have the freq set at around 1/4 of the way."

That's kinda strange. I had my amp at 2/10 and the receiver at -5 and it still seemed hot.

But really, every room / equipment combo will be different, and maybe that's what yours needs to be. But it still seems like a lot of gain.

If the AVR has a variable XO setting, use THAT rather than choking it with the amp's XO knob.

Jack Keck

Second Unit

That happened ot me. Make sure your othe rspeakers are set to SMALL with the SUB on.

Worked for me.

MikeGee

Second Unit
I've tried putting my receiver at any negative level and i can't hear it at all if its like that. I'm sure every room is different but i don't see how i have to have the plate amp running at like 75% gain and the AVR in the 5+db range

Do you think if i shorten the port length it would help me out a bit?
The box is 5.5cubic feet with a 12.75" port length (including the flares) does anyone think it'd be worth it to cut off say an inch or so?

Aaron Gilbert

Second Unit
Mike,

I think the several people who have already mentioned it are probably correct, that your front speakers are set to large. If so, when you put in a CD, or any source not having a ".1" channel, no bass will be sent to the subwoofer. There's a slight possibility that if you pick a surround mode with a stereo input signal, and your surround/center speakers are set to small, then some bass may get sent to the sub. Many receivers have a setting for the subwoofer/LFE channel that is usually called 'both'. What this does is send front L/R channel bass to the subwoofer even if the front L/R speakers are set to large. This is what I use, as it's the easiest to manage with my current receiver - just turn the sub all the way down if I want to hear the main speakers without the sub. I don't believe this is the default setting though - most receivers will send no bass to the sub from a channel set to large. I'd be surprised if the 1014 doesn't have it. I also use a 15" Quatro, and unless your main speakers are Klipsch corner horns or similarly efficient things, there should not be that much of a mismatch in levels. My speakers are about 5 dB more efficient than the Quatro per watt, and both use amplifiers with the exact same gain (non-adjustable stan-dalone amps), and the levels are within a couple dB of eachother on my receiver. It's got to be a setup/source material issue.

Aaron Gilbert

MikeGee

Second Unit
I've got it all figured out now thanks guys.
The only thing i'm having some worries about is that the gain on the amp and the gain on my receiver are both high for the sub signal. (3/4 on the plate amp and 5.5db on the receiver)
Do you think this could be because of a cheap RCA wire running from the plate amp to the receiver? I was going to buy a good one and return it if it didnt do anything different.

I'll post pictures of my sub once i finish carpeting/painting it... Tho my whole setup is dwarfed now due to this huge sub.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks