About to order cp72...should i wait for the new models?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan_R_M, Jan 11, 2003.

1. Dan_R_M

Dan_R_M Stunt Coordinator

Any opinions...I'm about to pull the trigger on the cp72, now there is this hoopla about the new models...although they don't seem to have anything spectacular over the current models...anyone have inside info on the new models? Thanks!

-Dan

2. Han

Han Second Unit

Just speculation really. Last year, it took until mid-year for the first of the Panny x2 models to come out... the 62s. Then longer still for the others in the series. The 85 (5 disc) this year looks like an absolute bargain at what one site said will be $149 MSRP.

Maybe Panasonic will release these x5 models earlier in the year than their models last year. If not, would you be willing to wait?

3. TimothyE

TimothyE Stunt Coordinator

I'm waiting.

4. Brian Kleinke

Brian Kleinke Supporting Actor

I didn't [​IMG]
    The CP-72 is an excellent player, sure the build quality isn't there but for the price it can't be beat!

5. Craig W

Craig W Second Unit

As an owner of the CP-72, I think this build quality issue is blown out of proportion. Granted the thing is still not built with the heft of my original Sony DVP-S3000, but its the best player I have owned since selling that great Sony player.

Compared to the other lower priced players I have owned, the CP72 is a gem. Yes it does have a plastic look if you get close to examine it, but behind a glass door it looks fine. Yes it has a small display, but the small display has an advantage in that it does not call attention to itself like some models with large displays. I want my attention on the screen not drawn to some flashy display panel.

Although I am not using the prog-scan feature its nice knowing that it has one of the best deinterlacers out there when I finally move up the ladder.

I would not be surprised with the drop in prices for the new models if Panny is no longer going to use the SageFarouodja deinterlacers. Panny's home DVD recorders have already dropped that chipset from the rumors I have heard.

The CP72 is here now and can be had for a great price.

6. Mike Fenech

Mike Fenech Agent

I'm with Craig and Brian. I got the last CP-72 Circuit City had in town. I've been waiting for a definitive word on Panny's next move, but nothing has surfaced so far. I can return the 72 no questions asked and no fee by the end of the month.

I was also afraid that Craig's omen of Panny dropping the chipset altogether would come true. If that happens, I have a great player for around $225 w/tax, one which should hold me over for another year or so at least.

7. TimothyE

TimothyE Stunt Coordinator

It may very well turn out that Panasonic no longer uses the Faroudja deinterlacing chip (they're one of the only companies who didn't pay the logo royalties so it wouldn't surprise me if Faroudja does/did drop them), there are many other manufacturer's out there who will be using them. Sure, you'll pay a little more for the logo, but Faroudja/Sage isn't going anywhere anytime soon. I'm holding out hope that the next generation Pannys will still utilize the chip, but looking at how low the new prices are makes me wonder.

Tim

8. Dan_R_M

Dan_R_M Stunt Coordinator

thanks for the replies, i just ordered one (cp72)...and I am getting both rebates ($30/Blockbuster)...sweet deal.

9. Kevin Nolan

Kevin Nolan Stunt Coordinator

I echo Craig's comments on this issue...I had a Tosh 5109 one of the first PS players out there and sold for $1000...bought mine for $500 I thought PQ could not be better. The Tosh also had build quality issues with its 2 disc tray it was CHEAP but the unit had more heft to it. What I wanted was a unit that took care of my 10yr old non-remote carousel and a built-in DTS decoder so I didn't have to buy a new receiver. Here is the result.
    I got everything I wanted and MORE the chipset on this unit made my 3yr old Sony RPTV looks brand new and DTS sound (on well mastered DTS tracks) are incredible.
    I have had no problems at all and my wife loves the difference which makes a difference!
    The unit could have better build quality...BUT it does what it says and more. We watch allot of movies and so far this family loves it.
    Kevin Nolan