About to make the SVS jump from a Sony wm40.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff-Watson, Dec 26, 2002.

1. Jeff-Watson

Jeff-Watson Stunt Coordinator

Hello and merry after x-mas. I currently am using a Sony sawm40 and it is great. Bass I can feel. Just curious as too how big of a WOW difference can I expect from the SVS 25-31pci. My dedicated room is 12x13 so I know the output from the svs will be fantastic. Has anyone upgraded to the SVS from the Sony and how big of a difference did it provide. Thanks for all of the advice guys and in case anyone hasn't said this, thanks Ron for a great forum and bringing together some great Audio minds.

2. kevitra

kevitra Second Unit

While I haven't heard your sub, looking at it on Sony's website I can say that you are about to be blown away. A $250 sony sub is not even in the same league as an SVS. SVS shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence with Sony [​IMG]
    I went from a Paradigm PS1000 ($450) to the 25-31 and it was a huge improvement. The Paradigm is no slouch, but it was nothing compared to the SVS.
    Get the SVS. You will learn what bass really feels (and sounds) like.

3. Dennis Heller

Dennis Heller Second Unit

I went from the Sony to a SVS 20-39 and I regularly say "wow." Just put on the THX trailer for Star Wars Ep. I or II. You'll never look back.

4. Michael Hartwig

Michael Hartwig Stunt Coordinator

Well I went from the Sony sub to a diy Tempest (15") and there is no comparison to the bass. The Tempest is much cleaner and harder hitting. It's what bass should sound like; not a one note boom.
    I'm sure the SVS will be a vast improvement also.

5. Jason Reich

Jason Reich Stunt Coordinator

You will be blown away as was I. With a room your size I would explore the 22hz tuning option- it cost nothing and gives the 25-31 a little more low end, sure you lose a couple db's but trust me it is well worth it, and with the svs there are planty more db's!! My room is 10x 17 and the feel my 22-31pci provides is insane.

6. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    I had the Sony for awhile and was happy with it, but now that I've heard the SVS in action I understand what people mean by "boomy" bass. It will take a little time to appreciate the difference but once you do you'll not want to go back. Think of it as the difference between drinking clear water and water that has some dirt in it. And you'll definitely feel the SVS output - stuff that will shake through your sofa cushions. I recommend (as do many others) The Fellowship of the Ring to really show it off. And for a touch of humor, the 2319 disposal explosion from Monsters, Inc.

7. Cameron Yee

Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    I had the Sony for awhile and was happy with it, but now that I've heard the SVS in action I understand what people mean by "boomy" bass. It will take a little time to appreciate the difference but once you do you'll not want to go back. Think of it as the difference between drinking clear water and water that has some dirt in it. And you'll definitely feel the SVS output - stuff that will shake through your sofa cushions. I recommend (as do many others) The Fellowship of the Ring to really show it off. And for a touch of humor, the 2319 disposal explosion from Monsters, Inc.

8. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

My friend had the Sony, and then bought the 25-31PCi at my urging.

There IS NO comparison.

The SVS hits harder, deeper, cleaner, flatter - it is an order of magnitude better than the Sony. Prepare to reconfigure your ears and your brain for what bass is really supposed to sound like.

Ed

9. Spector

Spector Stunt Coordinator

on a side note I'd me very interseted in buying your Sony WM40 if you decide to upgrade

10. Cameron Yee

Reviewer

Cameron Yee

11. Jeff-Watson

Thanks for the quick responses. Sounds ike a slam dunk. Now the all important should I opt for the 25-31 tuned to 22hz or go with the 20-39? 12x13 room. What do you all think? Paradigm atoms around the room if it helps any.

12. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Hi Jeff,
    I went from the wm-40 to a 15" Velo ct 150. The 40 could not even come close to the Velo. It was a huge difference-Jump. Now the SVS is better than the ct-cht 15" Velo I would think, so you will be very impressed indeed. I run two of the 15" Velo's now and am planning on running a couple of SVS's in the future. I will not notice the huge difference that you will but I would think I would benefit. You will be amazed at how much of a difference a decent-quality sub will make.

13. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

If you want the best of both worlds (high spls & deep earth shattering bass) go for the 20-39 for sure. It has it all...

14. Fong

Fong Stunt Coordinator

well if you have the time/tools, then i recommend going a diy tempest route (tuned to ~16hz), because its cheaper, and much more satisfying. but if you got the money, then buy the lowest tuned svs you can get. you'll only loose a few db in headroom, but you'll never get close to them in a small room.

15. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    hear hear.
    I have a 25-31PCi tuned to 22Hz, and my living room is 26 X 13 with 10ft ceilings, and two passageways leading out which adds to the volume.
    but I can say that the SVS has never failed to rock the house -- quite literally. of course, I live in an apartment with thin walls and rarely drive anything that loud, but when I do it certainly puts a smile on my face [​IMG]

16. Michael St. Clair

Considering many people have bought the WM40 for $125 lately (and tweaked it by stuffing with polyfill), it shouldn't even be a fair comparison.

If an SVS that cost almost 5X as much didn't sound substantially better, I'd consider it a serious ripoff!

17. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

The SVS will sound five times better I assure you. Also the "Mighty little DLS" sub will do better than the Sony for the same money and it will look better in your Ht room to.

18. Jeff-Watson

I have a friend with the DLS and it does sound good. Neither of us thinks it sounds better than the Sony but for a $100 how can you go wrong. I agree it looks better than the Sony though. It just doesn't have quite as much kick in the pants as the Sony. Cant wait for my SVS. Should be ordering in the next few weeks.