What's new

About to make the plunge to 6.1 (1 Viewer)

PrestonB

Auditioning
I am in the process of researching both an HDTV purchase and a receiver upgrade purchase. I have my HDTV question posted in the appropriate forum (feel free to check it out and add an opinion), but need a little help with my receiver research. I am considering the following three receivers:

Denon AVR-2802

Pioneer VSX-D810S

Pioneer VSX-811S (I know it's not due until at least April)

The Denon has a great list of features (DDEX, DTS-ES Discrete and Matrix, DPLII, DTS-Neo) and a price of around $550 at various place online. The Pioneer 810 can be found for around $300 but only has DDEX and DTS-Matrix. The Pioneer 811 will have the same features as the Denon when it is released. I guess my first question is how does Denon compare to Pioneer? Secondly, is DPLII really that big of an improvement of DPL? Third, are DTS-ES Discrete and DPLII worth the additional $200?

Len Cheong

Second Unit
I got my d850s for $250 and thought that was value for my money. The added money for the features in the denon ($200) is the price you pay for having the latest technology. Is DPL2/DTS discrete worth it? Yes, if you want to have the latest sound enhancements. You will probably have fun going through all your dolby pro logic software again.

Kyle_Y

Stunt Coordinator
I would say thatyes, the Pioneer can be had for very little, but you get what you pay for. You will pay a premium for the Denon, but you might as well. The extra money is worth the benefits. A more stable power supply backed by the Denon "heritage" will guarantee a good product. The Denon may say 90wpc but we all know htat Denon's 90 wpc is far more than Pioneer's 110wpc. If you are willing to take even more of a plunge, the the Onkyo 797 is an excellent 7.1 receiver with 100 true wpc as well better DAC's and THX certification which will give you peace of mind as far as power and distortion are concerned. The Pioneer is a good receiver for a beginner 6.1, the Denon 2802 will give you and edge, and a 797/Denon 3802 will put you in the front...just my $.02

Ted Ross

Second Unit
Actually in Sound & Vision's December issue they did a review of the 2802 & the d850s- their bench tests showed the Pioneer to be just as good a performer as the Denon. They also reviewed the Sony strdb1070 in that review as well & its performance was surprisingly dismal. If I remember the numbers for output at clipping for 6 channels driver it was 61 watts(17.75dBW) for the Denon, 59watts (17.75dBW) for the Pioneer, and 31watts(15dBW)for the Sony. I think if you check out Sound & Visions website they have the review posted for online viewing.

Bobby T

Supporting Actor
The 2802 is going to sound a lot better with music. Sound & Vision picked the 2802 over the 850.

Kelly Scott Rickards

Stunt Coordinator
Do not forget about the 2003 Yamahas due in march/april

The RX-V730 ($599MSRP) and RX-V630 ($499MSRP) both have 6 channels of amplification(80watts X 6) as well as DD/DTS, DD EX, DTS ES matrix & discrete, DPL2 and DTS Neo:6...

They are also rumored to include DTS 24/96 decoding, but we'll see if that's true.....

Both of these units are cheaper than a Denon 2802 or a Yammy RX-V1200/HTR-5490 and the RX-V630 is nearly as cheap as the upcoming 6-channel Pioneer VSX-811S ($475 MSRP)...

Food for thought...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks